The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

25249 William Walsh, Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Noor

Hi all,

I am hoping to find more information about William Walsh, who was sergeant in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. I was able to locate only his medal index card and medal roll input. I know he served with the 10th Battalion during Easter Rising. Close by service numbers were well decorated and involved here:

25245 McLoughlin Michael - Sergeant. Military Medal. London gazette 13.03.1918. Sergeant - Belgian Croix de Guerre. London Gazette 12.07.1918. LG shows residence location Athy, Co.Kildare.

25244 Brennan Francis A - B: Dublin. Son of C. and E. Brennan, of 24, Ushers Island, Dublin. Enl. Dublin. DOW 24.04.1916 Easter Rising. Grangegorman Military Cemetery. Ref: RC.468. He was on the list of wounded, but in fact died 24 April. Taken to Adelaide Hospital.

25241 Leonard James - Military Medal. London Gazette 22.11.1919. MIC shows VM and BWM. Tranferred to the LC (Service number 586683)

Later on William was transferred into Royal Munster Fusiliers (2nd and subsequently 1st battalion). He was discharged 1920.

I wasn't able to locate him on any wounded lists, etc.

If any of you have more information about him or where he was from, can you please let me know.

Thanks,

Timo

I forgot to mention that his new service number with the Munsters was 18092.

Does some of Munsters expert know what time period this number may be issued to the 2nd Battalion?

Thank you very much Craig!

In this case he served in the 10th battalion until this unit was disbanded in France on the 15th February 1918. That explains why I wasn't able to find him on the Irish Times wounded lists - it must been just regular transfer.

Thanks again,

Timo

So far I was able only to confirm that he enlisted most likely on the 11th November 1915. So, he must been promoted to the NCO rank fairly soon.