Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Julien - bunker

John_Hartley

On the other side of the road to the village church is a path which leads along the Steenbeek. A little way along the path, on the other side of the Steenbeek, is a structure which I assume was a German pillbox. Is anything known about it (name, for instance) and, in particular, does it hold any significance for the attack on 31/7/17 - if so, then I assume the significance would have been for units of either 116th or 117th Brigade.

TIA

John

I believe that this is the one, if it is then I always thought that it was the one referred to in the book "Some Desparate Glory" by Edwin Campion Vaughan ISBN 0 7232 2773 X

1601562977_699d9c5983_z.jpg

Norman

PS Any info gratefully accepted!

Paul Oldham's guide - 'Pill Boxes of the Western Front' has it named as Hackney Villa, falling to 13th Royal Sussex of 39th Division on 31st July 1917.

The 17th Sherwood Foresters (117th Brigade) attacked and took Alberta Redoubt next to St. Juliaan 31/7/17 btw.

The 17th Sherwood Foresters (117th Brigade) attacked and took Alberta Redoubt next to St. Juliaan 31/7/17 btw.

post-62077-0-49681800-1463862852_thumb.j

post-62077-0-27002100-1463862943_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously not Hackney Villa then.

To the Germans it was Kaserne 2 Herzog-Albrecht; when the 9th Londons (Queen Victorias Rifles) established HQ there for attack on Jury farm they recorded it as "not much knocked about and known as Hackney Villa (after the 10th London Regiment)......it was capable of holding about 100 men".

Edwin Campion Vaughn also described being there.

Peter