Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW CHECK

mick1234

Hi all,

Is there any data base available to check on a POW. In my case I am trying to find out if Private Michael McGuirk,8681 Royal Dublin Fusiliers was taken prisoner on the 5-9-16. I got some stuff on him from Ancestry showing that he was discharged on that date but nothing on being a POW. His family is sure that he was and also think that he was in the Royal Iniskilling Fusiliers at a later stage. Any help hughly appreciated and thanks in advance,

Rgds

Mick

Here you go http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Search/#/3/2/107/0/British%20and%20Commonwealth/Military/mcguirk the online records of the Red Cross. You need to scroll down to the reference card for him, it's notoriously slow BTW, when/if you find his card, note the ref No's, many begin with "PA", then hover over the card with the cursor, a red bar stating "MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS PERSON", click on it and it'll take you to a new page, here you can punch in the reference number, you will again need to scroll down to find his entry.

I see John has beat me to the link while I typed but I'll leave this on for the instructions how to use it.

Nothing on his medal card to suggest re-enlistment and if there's nothing on his Service/Pension record on Ancestry then it's unlikely he did. You should check his Medal Roll and SWB entries on Ancestry for more info.

Sam

John,Sam

I am just after going through this website and I have found my man, Private Michael McGuirk. Thankyou very much for pointing me in the right direction. Wow, I never even knew that this site existed !.

Rgds

Mick