Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Diary help

Sunbird

Ongoing research with great grandfather's diary, who was a medical officer with 48th Field Ambulance.

Todays diary post (100 years ago) has mention of two soldiers. Both are mentioned as they were known to Arthur as boys at Oundle School where he was practising.

Diary entry here A.F. Elliott R.A.M.C. – May 18th, 1916

Transcription:

Can anyone find anything on these two. I guess the second name is Sidney Barwell. Also the 'also in this Batt[alion] rules them out of being soldiers from different units at the same rest camp, La Cauchié.

May 18. Join 11 Warwicks as temp. M/O for 7 days

at La Couchié.

Boy Jones of Dryden House left Sept/06 sharing billet

but first going on leave. Barwell Sidney /04 too and

also in this Batt. but is on leave.

Many thanks,

Chris

post-122318-0-94338600-1463671487_thumb.

I cannot see a Sidney Barwell in Oundle School Memorial book.

2nd Lt K J Jones Warwickshire Regiment

Capt H W E Barwell Royal Warwickshire Regiment - 1907 to 1911 at Oundle. MC and Croix de Guerre. July 1917 to TFC and Reported missing 25 March 1918.

Steve M

(Oundle School Memorial Book of the First World War 1914-1918 by Avalon Eastman)

So the chap who was killed then.

Arras Flying Services memorial.

Born 16 Oct 1892 at Harborne.

Entered Sidney House (should have checked properly!) in January 1907 and left July 1911 - represented school at Cricket and Football. Warwickshire Hockey team player. Birmingham Uni graduated BSc. in 1914 Commissioned into Royal Warwicks soon after outbreak of war

November 1916 MC and Croix de Guerre

Steve

Only Royal Warwick's is the chap I found though. He may have the years wrong.

Same initials and would have been older and not younger - doubtful.

So the chap who was killed then.

Arras Flying Services memorial.

Born 16 Oct 1892 at Harborne.

Entered Sidney House (should have checked properly!) in January 1907 and left July 1911 - represented school at Cricket and Football. Warwickshire Hockey team player. Birmingham Uni graduated BSc. in 1914 Commissioned into Royal Warwicks soon after outbreak of war

November 1916 MC and Croix de Guerre

Steve

That must be him Steve. Thank you. November MC. Somme? Ancre?

"Boy Jones"?

In the March 1916 Army List under 11th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regt. is listed 2nd Lt. J. K. Jones (28 Nov. 14)

John Keane Jones gazetted 2nd Lt. on the General List 28.11.1914

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28988/supplement/10111

Before going any further, was he a pupil of Oundle School?

In the October 1917 Army List there was an Ernest Raymond Jones, 2nd Lt. in 11th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regt. (3 Dec. 15). Since Steve gave the name K. J. Jones in post #2 John Keane Jones may be "Boy Jones".

There is a family of Boy-Jones, one in electoral rolls for Harrow. Edward Thomas Boy-Jones.

TEW

Or Boy Cecil Jones, West Yorks electoral roll

I can only presume that 'Boy Jones' (left Sept '06) was a pupil at Oundle School. Arthur lists him as being in Dryden House. This House is actually more or less next door to where Arthur lived in Oundle, so he could have known him well.

I have heard of 'Boy' being a name, but maybe in this instance it is a nickname he had at school.

'Left '06' would make him born 1888 era. 28 years old in 1916.

The only Jones in the 11th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regt. in the March 1916 Army List is 2nd Lt. John Keane Jones. The effective date of this list is only seven weeks before Arthur Forbes Elliott met "Boy Jones" (Does not the diary date read April 18, not May 18?)

John Keane Jones was born on 18.1.1892 in Burma.

In the 1901 census he was living at 10, Woodwarde Road, Dulwich, Camberwell in the household of his uncle, Maurice F. Jones, 42, married, surgeon, born India.

In the 1911 census he was living at 34, Pembroke Avenue, Hove, aged 19, bank clerk, born Tavoy, Burma. He had one female servant in the household.

He transferred from 11th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regt. to the India Army on 20.8.1917, served with distinction in WW2 (D.S.O. and bar, M.C.), rose to the rank of Brigadier, died 18.8.1967.

There was no obit in The Times which might have mentioned his schooling, and no apparent records online which might link him to Oundle School. If he had attended Oundle School would he necessarily have left the school at the usual age of others leaving the school or could he have left at an earlier age?

The only Jones in the 11th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regt. in the March 1916 Army List is 2nd Lt. John Keane Jones. The effective date of this list is only seven weeks before Arthur Forbes Elliott met "Boy Jones" (Does not the diary date read April 18, not May 18?)

John Keane Jones was born on 18.1.1892 in Burma.

In the 1901 census he was living at 10, Woodwarde Road, Dulwich, Camberwell in the household of his uncle, Maurice F. Jones, 42, married, surgeon, born India.

In the 1911 census he was living at 34, Pembroke Avenue, Hove, aged 19, bank clerk, born Tavoy, Burma. He had one female servant in the household.

He transferred from 11th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regt. to the India Army on 20.8.1917, served with distinction in WW2 (D.S.O. and bar, M.C.), rose to the rank of Brigadier, died 18.8.1967.

There was no obit in The Times which might have mentioned his schooling, and no apparent records online which might link him to Oundle School. If he had attended Oundle School would he necessarily have left the school at the usual age of others leaving the school or could he have left at an earlier age?

Yes the diary date reads April. I'm trying to understand why he went through April (correctly) and then wrote his May entries as April again. I think he must have transcribed or collated this document from other diaries, or notebooks and made a mistake. This pattern continues through June (written as May) and corrects itself in July. I think the date July 1st would have jogged Arthur back into sync if you know what I mean. Originally I thought there was no June at all (!) until going through making my transcription I realised the mistake.

If he had attended Oundle School would he necessarily have left the school at the usual age of others leaving the school or could he have left at an earlier age?

It is interesting that Arthur writes:

"Boy Jones of Dryden House left Sept/06..." and "Barwell [of] Sidney [House] '04 to '08"

I think that could imply that Boy Jones may have left the school earlier than normal. Also a September leaving date could be usual for re-taking of exams...?

Edited by Sunbird

Ongoing research with great grandfather's diary, who was a medical officer with 48th Field Ambulance.

Todays diary post (100 years ago) ...

May 18. Join 11 Warwicks ...

Chris, from the scan of the diary entry, it looks as if the date would have been 18 APRIL, not May. Those look like ditto marks to me, below the preceding (April) entry.

Angela

Chris, from the scan of the diary entry, it looks as if the date would have been 18 APRIL, not May. Those look like ditto marks to me, below the preceding (April) entry.

Angela

Angela, please see post 18.

Doh!!

I did quickly spool down to see if anyone had mentioned it, but must have missed that pesky No 18...

Doh!!

I did quickly spool down to see if anyone had mentioned it, but must have missed that pesky No 18...

Thank you

Edited by Sunbird

I just had a conversation with the archivist at Oundle who confirmed that John Keane Jones was a member of Dryden House May 06 - Dec 09. I also found out that Arthur (the diarist) was the Dryden House doctor so probably would have personally known Jones.

Thank you all.