Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20 Squadron 21st August 1917

owen4256

I'd be grateful for some help on 20 Squadron between May and August 1917, in particular details of any patrol where Pte H W W Greenner flew as an air gunner. Greenner joined the Royal Flying Corps as a probationary Aerial Gunner on 19th May 1917 and was attached to 20 Squadron, flying FE2ds. He was graded as a qualified Aerial Gunner on 26th July 1917. Suffered gunshot wounds in leg during combat whilst flying on a Counter Offensive Patrol on 21st August 1917 and admitted to 53 Casualty Clearing Station. Invalided to England on 2nd September he was sent to North Abingdon Base Hospital at Leicester on 19th September .

I know that 20 Squadron acquired Bristol Fighters at some point in mid 1917 and I'd be very interested to know what type of aircraft Greenner would have been flying in by August.

Regards

Clive

RAF Squadrons by C.G.Jefford lists Bristol F2b Fighter from August 1917 used by 20Sqn.

Regards Peter.

RAF Squadrons by C.G.Jefford lists Bristol F2b Fighter from August 1917 used by 20Sqn.

Regards Peter.

Hi

Jefford also points out that the FE.2d was still on strength until September 1917, so both types would have been on the squadron in August. Henshaw in TSTB 2, page 112, has the aircraft that Greenner may have been in as "FE2d ?", so it is not definite.

Mike

The casualty reports suggest that he was in an F.E.2d (A6387) piloted by Captain McClean/Maclean when they suffered a hard landing on 14 July 1917.

There seems to be some confusion regarding his pre-war service, as he's recorded as "Horace William Ward Greenner" in some instances ...

http://search.findmypast.com/record?id=gbm%2fwo97%2f4990%2f016%2f001&parentid=gbm%2fwo97%2f4990%2f668008&highlights=%22%22... but as "Greener" in others ...

http://search.findmypast.com/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007384952%2f01018&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7384952%2f43%2f1018&highlights=%22%22and "Grenner" in others still:

http://search.findmypast.com/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007384952%2f00991&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7384952%2f43%2f986

(If you click through about a dozen pages of the second link you'll come to a page which shows a casualty return stating that he was wounded on 21 Aug 1917. However, the third link shows that he'd been hospitalised in January 1915 when serving with the cyclist corps, a sprained ankle: if he were a premiership footballer he'd still be in bed by the war's end).

On the main query, as to whether they'd transitioned to Brisfits by August 1917, the picture is unclear, e.g. Solly and Hay were killed on 11 Aug 1917 in Bristol F.2b (A7108) but at least six Fees were lost in the final two weeks of August. From what I gather, the initial BrisFit losses were on training/practice flights and that the first combat losses didn't come until mid- to late-Sept 1917, by which time there'd been at least another four or five FE2d losses.

Did your man return to 20th Sqdn when recovered ?

If so, you may be interested in a panoramic photo of 20th dated 30-11-18, currently on EBay, which may include him.

I have no financial interest in the photo.

Regards,

JMB

Thinking about it, your man definitely would have been in an FE2d, but the serial remains elusive to me (hence the question mark in The Sky Their Battlefield II). Operational patrols on FE2ds continued until the last was carried out on September 22nd, by which time Bristol Fighters had been operational for almost three weeks. Their first patrol was made on September 3rd 1917.

There are a few good books and articles on 20 Squadron, such as in the Cross and Cockade Journals, but most books and memoirs concentrate on the Bristol Fighter period, to be honest. This is one of the better ones, which turns up: Roberson, NJ. The History of No.20 Squadron Royal Flying Corps – Royal Air Force. Privately Printed, 1987.

Hope this helps.

Trevor

Thanks to all for the prompt replies, particularly for the casualty report on the 14th July 1917, great to associate him with a pilot and aircraft , if only on that patrol. The aircraft was struck off charge on the 17th so I assume a pretty firm landing...Greenner never flew again after recovering from wounds and spend the remainder of the was with 2/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry. He joined the Air Intelligence Corps in 1939 as 504680 and was promoted Acting Sergeant before being posted “Missing” in August 1940. Horace William Ward Greenner died at Camberwell in 1944.

Regards

Clive