Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Brunton

maartenhorn

Dear members,

I have a question regarding the Medal Index Card of a Captain Brunton of the Labour Corps. On his card, it is mentioned that he was awarded the Victory Medal, the British War Medal, and emblems. There is a reference to the medal roll "Off. 225", page "40c", followed by "i.v. 10360/w 22.3.22 NW/5/4529". I have looked up Brunton's medal roll, and it shows the same information. I have interpreted this to mean that Brunton was awarded both medals and emblems on 22.3.22. However, the Medal Index Card is accompanied by a correspondence card that states: "Lt. G. Brunton applies for B.W. Medal Riband 4.8.19." and on a second line "[signature] retd. compltd. 29.8.20". I understand that as an officer, Brunton had to apply for his medals. However, what I do not understand is 1) why only the B.W. Medal Riband is mentioned, 2) whether this riband was returned by Brunton, and whether he received it on 29.8.20 or only on 22.3.22 as indicated on the medal index card and medal roll.

Another question relates to the mentioning of emblems. I understand that this means that he was mentioned in despatches for gallantry or extraordinary service - is there any way I can find out what he exactly did?

I hope you can help me.

Kind regards,

Maarten

usually means MID - look in the London gazette for a date, local papers, war diaries, regimental history

Thank you both! I tried searching the Gazette before, but could not find the two references you mention. May I ask you how you conducted your search?

First, his medal index card shows that he was an Officer of the Order of The British Empire (O.B.E.).

If I cannot find a notification using the London Gazette search engine (filling in the text search box and expected date range, etc.), I use the index to find the year, quarter, and page number relating to the person and whatever I am looking for (promotion, award, mention etc.) and search using those criteria.

You might find some useful advice on this topic -

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=236539&hl=%2Bblack+%2Bbelts

Captain Guy Brunton, OBE, FRAI

Born on 18 July 1878, the son of Spencer Brunton of 84 Brook Street, W.

Educated privately and at University College, London

Archaeologist attached to the British School of Archaeology in Egypt

During the war served two years as Pay Sergeant with the British Red Cross Hospital, Netley, four months with the Artists' Rifles and two years with the Labour Corps

His address in 1921 was 2 Regent's Court, Park Road, London, NW 1

Gazetted for the OBE (Military) on 3 June 1919

Source: Handbook to the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, 1921

Many thanks! I am aware of the information you mention, although the source you got it from is new. I am a PhD student in archaeology, and part of my research focuses on Brunton's life. Does the source you mention provide any details on why Brunton was given an OBE? I know it was for services in France, but I haven't found anything specific. May it be related to the fact that he was mentioned in despatches?