Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mis-commemorated officer

Northern Soul

Terry,

Browsing the 2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment War Diary (1st to 31st July, 1916) elsewhere on the site I happened on the following passage and associated footnote:

“This reinforcement almost immediately encountered the enemy in large numbers and was driven back into the village with severe casualties. Lieutenant Finlay was killed in this counter-attack.”

and......

“Lieutenant George Finlay was killed in an enemy counter attack on Bazentin le Petit, 14 July 1916. At present, he does not appear on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database.”

He does actually appear – but his date of death is given as 14/7/1918 and he is commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial rather than the Thiepval Memorial.

FINLAY, GEORGE GUY

Lieutenant

Royal Irish Regiment

3rd Bn. attd. 2nd Bn.

14/07/1918

Son of Col. Henry T. Finlay, D.L., Corkagh, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin.

Panel 30 and 31

POZIERES MEMORIAL

Commemorated – but on the wrong memorial ! What do the CWGC do (if anything) in such a situation? <_<

Andy.

Andy

Problem.

CWGC say that all original documentation gives date as 14.07.18 (as does ODGW). This date appears to have been confirmed (or at least not amended) by the n-o-k when they returned their Final Verification Form.

Therefore, CWGC have said that they need more evidence before amending the date.

I have arranged to check the death certificate date. Could you scan and post or email me the relevant entry from the war diary so I can move this on.

I have arranged to check the death certificate date. Could you scan and post or email me the relevant entry from the war diary so I can move this on.

I don't have it - I was reading it in the "War Diaries" section of the main web site. Perhaps Chris (Baker) knows who submitted it for inclusion - I'll send him a PM.

Alternatively if any other Pal claims "ownership" of the 2nd Royal Irish Regiment War Diary extract can you forward a copy of the relvant entry to Terry?

Andy.

• 4 weeks later...

This one will require you to obtain the death certificate (ref O.2.325) as it appears to be the only official document which will back up the war diary entry (a copy of the relevant page would be useful).

With that, a case can be made but, at the moment, all other records say 1918 and so the entry cannot be changed.