Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James McCamley - Royal Scots - Overtown Wishaw

Swally

Hi guys,

I am looking for info on a James McCamley, he was born in 1899 in Fauldhouse, West Lothian, father James and mother Mary. The story goes that either he left or he arrived in France one day before his birthday, that being 4th April. He resided at Victoria Place in Overtown and was with the Royal Scots.

Can anyone shed any light on his service number etc.

Regards,

Swally

There is a James McCamley 26032 BSM RFA born Barony died 5 12 1915 1st Canadian Stat Hosp Mudros father James according to Soldiers Effects Register. Ralph.

May not be him - the CWGC Register states son of Mrs R A McCamley 11 Wallace St Glasgow

Rjay,

Sorry not him, he was born in Fauldhouse, West Lothian and stayed in Wishaw when he enlisted.

Thanks,

Swally

Ah . Try 19974 2nd Batt Royal Sots died 9 4 1918 kia Ploegsteert Mem. Maybe not him either Soldiers Effects has his nok widow Isabella.

Hi guys,

I am looking for info on a James McCamley, he was born in 1899 in Fauldhouse, West Lothian, father James and mother Mary. The story goes that either he left or he arrived in France one day before his birthday, that being 4th April. He resided at Victoria Place in Overtown and was with the Royal Scots.

Can anyone shed any light on his service number etc.

Regards,

Swally

Did he die or survive ?

Craig

He survived guys, lasted till 1974.

Thanks,

Swally

I have found two James McCamleys in the National archives list of Medal Index Cards:

James McCamley, Pte, 38741, Royal Scots; 41609, Scottish Rifles. (11 RS, probably 10 SR)

James McCamley, Pte, 44270, Royal Scots (9 RS)

Both Medal Cards and Medal Rolls are on ancestry, but concentrate the search on the serial numbers!

Roger M

Roger, thanks for the reply. I looked at both of guys, but as neither has a theatre of war, an entry date or anything connecting him with Overtown, Wishaw, I have checked pension records and service records I am no further forward. If we were able to ascertain where he enlisted (probably Wishaw or Hamilton) we may be able to rule one of them out.

Thanks so far!

Swally