Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Schwaben Redout, Thiepval

egbert

Does anybody possess plans/drawings/pictures/layouts of notorious Schwaben Redout? Obviously something must be out there, depicting how it was laid out and how this huge fortress looked inside.

I remember talking to the mayor of Thiepval a few years ago ( she lives in the nice villa opposite the entrance to the memorial), who told me some digging had been done to see what shape the tunnels were in. It seems a lot of local farmers were afraid the soil would open up underneath them ( something that frequently happens in Flanders also, due to the fact that when forest were cleaned for agricultural grounds, there was nothing left to stop massive erosion). I don't know of any published reports though, so I don't think I can help you out. I do remember having seen a rough plan of the tunnels in the 'Thiepval' volume the 'battleground Europe' series.

best,

Bert.

I have several period German maps showing the location but surprisingly no photographs. There are plans for a formal excavation by the Durand Group but I am not sure of the progress on this. If you would like to see the maps I can try and scan them and send them to you.

Ralph

When Clive and I called at the Ulster tower in March the guy who now runs it dsaid he knew where the entrances are and was considering some sort of expedition?

We saw the vent shafts at the back and they look very unstable so I do not think I will join him!

Battle Ground Europe series does have a map of the system.

Ralph, if you could scan those maps with most details, I'd appreciate.

If Kirky or Bert could scan the mentioned Battle Ground Series?!

I know from German sources where the entrances are located; but yes, I would not even think of trying...and be buried alive. Interesting, all my screened German archive sources could not come up with a plan/outlay of this immense fortress. Maybe in the German "Militaergeschichtliches Institut", but pretty exiting to visit from Alabama!

Egbert, I foond a good map of the redoubt (Feste Schwaben) from a 1917 book by the regiment that helped to construct it. Where should I send it to? Please send me your e-mail if you would, thanks. Ralph