Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I came across this article while doing some research. and it's moved me to find out more about Sister L M Toller, 12th General hospital Rouen and Cpl Drake 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. I think Sister Toller is truly an Angel. Please can anybody shed some light on this for me Kindest Regards DaveC

DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY

We recorded last week the death of Corporal Drake, 2nd Duke of Wellington's Regiment of Hollywell Green, who after taking part in most of the engagements at the front including the battle of Ypres, succumbed to Typhoid fever at Rouen. The following touching letters have been received by Mrs. Holroyd, Spring Wood Elland and Mrs Drake, from Sister L. M. Toller, the nurse at the General Hospital, Rouen..

12, General Hospital, Rouen, Feb 1. 1915

Dear Mrs. Holroyd, I am very sorry to tell you that Corporal Drake passed away at 4.30 pm today. Needless to tell you, we did all we could to pull him through. He had a special nurse day and night and we gave him everything in the way of nourishment - essence of chicken, etc, etc and medicine, oxygen, strychnine, etc., but all to no avail. I am telling you that because I want to impress upon his wife that for her sake more especially we put all our efforts forward for his recovery, and I am very very sorry for her and her baby. We write in our sincerest sympathy for her, and hope she will be able to bear this heavy burden, which I fear so many of us are carrying just now.- My kindest regards yours sincerely L M Toller (Sister)

12, General Hospital Feb 4. 1915

Dear Mrs. Drake. I received your letter this morning. I am so very sorry for you. Your poor husband passed away at 4.30 pm on Feb 1, and about two hours before he died he said "It is finished." We did all we possibly could.

No, Every man to me is a single person, and although I have many under my care, each one and each one's home people I hear about, and if anything the married get my first and best consideration. I cannot tell you I sympathise with you, but I know what it is to lose one's all. Your little one's I hope will be a comfort to you, but such a word as comfort seems a mockery at such a time, when the love and glow of your life has gone. Yes, Mrs Drake, you have my hearts sorrow, and that is all I can give you now

The funeral was yesterday. I gave some violets in your name. The grave is in the English military cemetery in Rouen. He had full military honours, with three officers in attendance. I enclose to you the money he had on him when he came into hospital, and I think you will need all you have. There are a few papers and a photograph of a little child, which will be sent on to you by the officer in charge. Good-bye Mrs Drake, and try and bear up for your little one's sake. Yours in sincere sympathy. L M Toller (Sister)

Corporal Drake we may add leaves two children a little girl aged 4, and a boy born about a month ago

IPT

All I can say is wow, loved the Biography on Sister Lucy Maud Toller, what a lady. It seem that L/Cpl Walter Drake, was a National Reservist called up. He was sent to the General Hospital at Rouen at the end of December 1914 with a mild case of Typhoid fever, but by the end of January he condition had become a lot worse, and the War Office wrote to his wife saying that L/Cpl Drake was dangerously ill, but he seemed to rally for a time until he relapsed and died. Still a lot of gaps to fill in yet. Kindest Regards DaveC

We have in our possession a kindly but sad letter written by Sister Toller on the death of my OH's grandfather in 1917......have seen the online records of hers, and being a curious genealogist did do some cursory research about her. A most interesting lady.

Anne

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone care to post a bit of biographical detail about Sister Toller? It is not, I think,

a typical English or British name, and my father had some contact with a German family

of that name, in the time of the Great War, who were, unfortunately, a rather nasty

bunch, according to both him and the historical record, IMHO.

Anyone care to post a bit of biographical detail about Sister Toller? It is not, I think,

a typical English or British name, and my father had some contact with a German family

of that name, in the time of the Great War, who were, unfortunately, a rather nasty

bunch, according to both him and the historical record, IMHO.

From post #2;

"Lucy Maud Toller was born on the 8th of November 1874, she was the third of four daughters born to Richard and Sarah Toller of Winfold Farm, Denny Abbey, Waterbeach. Lucy had two older sisters, Sarah who was born in 1870 and Edith who was born in 1872, Mabel was the youngest being born in 1879. The Toller family were Baptist preachers, Lucy's father Richard was a farmer owning a farm of 600 acres and employing 15 men and 8 boys"

The father, Richard, was born c1827 in Lapley, Huntingdonshire, son of John Toller, farmer, born c1791 in King's Ripton, Hampshire.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I want to say thank you so so much for this post!!

Lance Cprl Walter Drake was my precious Great Grandad!  We have the original news paper cutting about the telegram sent from Sister Toller which was saved by my Grandad, his son also called Walter. Along with a medal!

By finding this forum I have also read the link above and found photos of the angel that is Sister Toller, who was with my Great Grandad when he died 

I have also found other informative links

Thank you so much for sharing this xxxxxx 

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 23:15, IPT said:

Walter Drake - http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/514565/DRAKE,%20WALTER

His service records confirm that it's him. He had originally enlisted in February 1904. His children were Evelyn born 12/12/1910 and Walter born 21/1/1915.

His widow, Ellen, married Thomas H Sutcliffe in Dec qtr 1919.

I am very moved with this topic that people are researching my Great Grandad ?

Yep is correct that's my Grandad and his sister my auntie Evelyn :) 

The dates are wrong way round, his birthday was 12.1.15 and auntie evelyn 21.12.10 :):) 

My Grandad sadly passed in 2004 age 89 

Jen xxxx 

5 minutes ago, IPT said:

Correct, but that's what I said. B)

Untitled2.jpg

Hi I read that as Walter is correct 12.1.15 and Evelyn 12.12.10 

Where is that from is it from the census? 

Very hard to read those lol 

Sorry for confusion it was my grandads date that was wrong on your post it said 21.1.15

Yes, I was too slow on the edit when I realised my mistake!

That's from Walter's surviving service papers. 

This is the photo of him on the newspaper clipping talking about the telegram from Sister Toller :)  this is a scanned copy of the original my mum has 

I do have another pic of him but it's saying it is too large xx

FB_IMG_1467365441459.jpg

On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 12:28, DaveC said:

IPT

All I can say is wow, loved the Biography on Sister Lucy Maud Toller, what a lady. It seem that L/Cpl Walter Drake, was a National Reservist called up. He was sent to the General Hospital at Rouen at the end of December 1914 with a mild case of Typhoid fever, but by the end of January he condition had become a lot worse, and the War Office wrote to his wife saying that L/Cpl Drake was dangerously ill, but he seemed to rally for a time until he relapsed and died. Still a lot of gaps to fill in yet. Kindest Regards DaveC

Hi Dave do you have any other information at all :):) 

• 1 year later...
On 20/05/2016 at 18:31, Hollytree said:

We have in our possession a kindly but sad letter written by Sister Toller on the death of my OH's grandfather in 1917......have seen the online records of hers, and being a curious genealogist did do some cursory research about her. A most interesting lady.

Anne

Hello Anne

I've just read this, and am fascinated. I've written Luce Toler's story, and the letter that you mention would add to the insight to this remarkable lady considerably. Can you tell me more?

Richard