Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German M16 Stalhelm.

Dylan11

Hello I recently discovered this forum. I received a M16 Stalhelm 2 years ago and I am wondering if a manufacturer code of GBN66.10 is real? I have never seen other numbers after the shell size.

Hi Dylan 11,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum.

I know new members cannot initially post photographs but it would be interesting in due course to see photographs of your helmet and especially of the manufacturer's marking. G.B.N. is the maker's mark for Gebruder Bing A.G. Nurnberg which was the only Bavarian helmet manufacturer. Their helmets are distinguishable in that they have a more pronounced and slightly up-turned visor.

I have never seen any additional marking after the size mark, in this case 66, on any helmet. In addition G.B.N. are only known to have made helmets in sizes 62 and 64. That does not, of course, mean that they did not make any size 66 helmets. Suffice it to say that G.B.N. helmets are relatively scarce and no size 66 has yet been reported to my knowledge.

Regards,

Michael.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I have thought nothing of this until now. Is there any way I could possibly send you an E-Mail? I can send you the pictures on here. I am just somewhat concerned that this helmet has a marking that I have found nowhere online.

Thank you,

Dylan

I would be very interested in seeing this stamp Dylan.

Michael, can you show an example of a size 62 Bing shell? I've only ever seen size 64.

Thanks

Hans

Dylan 11,

If you send me the photo(s) I will try to post for you.

Grabenhelm,

Like you, I have only seen GBN 64. In respect of my comment above I was relying on this website: http://www.germanhelmetsinc.com/faq.htm which is owned by a respected authority on the subject and which lists GBN 62.

Regards,

Michael.

Just for the sake of completion, Dylan sent me pictures of the helmet in question. It is a decent reproduction Austrian M17 for reenactors. I found another example of one on eBay. The made up maker code GBN66.10 is clearly intended to prevent anyone from selling this helmet in an altered form as a genuine Austrian or German helmet.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Austrian-or-Austro-Hungarian-WW1-M17-Stahlhelm-Size-66-/111925077515?hash=item1a0f41260b:g:VT0AAOSwZ8ZW2Kzl

Hans