Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Rifles

Jojessholli

Hi Guys

Can anyone give me any information about the London Rifles?

My Great Uncle was withe them but I can't seem to find much about them online.

Regards

Vic

post-7061-0-91319500-1463418953_thumb.jp

5th battalion London Regiment - London Rifle Brigade

He was firstly in the Army Service Corps with the number T4/248159. The T4 prefix indicated that he was with the Horse Transport section of the ASC, possibly as a member of a Divisional Train.

At some time after early 1917 he was transferred to 5th Bn London Regiment with the number 318018, possibly as a result of a process whereby other arms were "combed out" for men needed to serve in the infantry.

The battalion was also known as the London Rifle Brigade (not the London Rifles). You may have more success if you search under that title. Its War Diary should be available online on the National Archives website: you will need to search for it under "5 Battalion London Regiment" i.e. not 5th or Rifles.

Ron

He was firstly in the Army Service Corps with the number T4/248159. The T4 prefix indicated that he was with the Horse Transport section of the ASC, possibly as a member of a Divisional Train.

At some time after early 1917 he was transferred to 5th Bn London Regiment with the number 318018, possibly as a result of a process whereby other arms were "combed out" for men needed to serve in the infantry.

The battalion was also known as the London Rifle Brigade (not the London Rifles). You may have more success if you search under that title. Its War Diary should be available online on the National Archives website: you will need to search for it under "5 Battalion London Regiment" i.e. not 5th or Rifles.

Ron

Thanks Ron - that brought up more information straight away on a search.