Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Dorsets

Guest jwhawkins

;) My grandfather was sent to France/Belgium at the outbreak of war and was presumably part of the BEF. According to my father he was in the Dorsets and was gassed, but survived, during the first gas attack, at Ypres I believe.

He must have been a full time soldier as he was 30 when he sailed for France but I’m a little confused as to why a Londoner would have served with a west country regiment. Did they actively recruit in the south east or could he have been in another regiment altogether and been transferred at the outbreak of WW1?

This is all the info. I have unfortunately.

There is little Ryhme nor Reason as to why Men Enlisted into Various Regiments,Scottish Regiment are Notorious for the Ranks of Cockneys within them!

Often they had Ran away from Home as Youngsters & enlisted into a Regiment that caught their Fancy,Or were in the Recruitment Area of a Particular Regiment,They may have been working in the area {Often as Railwaymen}Had relatives in the area.etc,generally the Units that have "Local" recruits are the TF Battalions,as the Training sessions were local{Though could often involve a Walk or Cycle ride of 10~15 Miles to attend} & @ the Outbreak of war The "Pals" Battalions that recruited Men who Worked/Lived Together in the Same Towns,Etc.,

You can check which regiment he served in if you click here!.....National Archive Medal Index Search

I've checked he MIC and found 2 men with the exactly the same name, in the Dorsets. However, not knowing his reg. no. makes it difficult to know if one or other is actually him. I guess that if I called up the record cards it might help but its a long shot.

My wife's great grandfather and my great uncle served with the Dorsets in the st and 6th battalions respectively. The gas attack you refer to happened when the 1st battalion were holding the forward trenches in front of hill 60. The germans released gas from hoses on the other side of the railway embankment and within minutes the Dorsets were engulfed by the toxic vapours. I believe this happened around the 5th May 1915. The Dorsets suffered around 200 casualties, my wife's great grandfather was taken to a ADS in Larch Wood and then to a Field Hopsital in Bailleul where he died 4 days later. The 1st battalion was formed in Belfast before going across with the BEF. get in touch with me if you wish to know more about the Dorsets.

I’m a little confused as to why a Londoner would have served with a west country regiment. Did they actively recruit in the south east or could he have been in another regiment altogether and been transferred at the outbreak of WW1?

There is nothing that unusual about having men from outside a regiment's recruiting area enlisting as regulars, particularly pre-1914. Many regiments that were linked with predominantly rural counties, like the Dorsetshire Regiment, had recruiting Sergeants based in the more populated industrial cities and towns to bring in recruits that their home counties could not provide due to demographics. For example, The Royal Welsh Fusiliers pre-1914 had a nickname which reflected their reliance on recruits from Birmingham - "The Brummagem Fusiliers". The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry also had significant numbers of Londoners and Brummies serving with them. Even the 1st Battalion, The Royal Scots Fusiliers had men from London and the Midlands serving in the unit pre-1914.

My own Grandfather, who came from Birmingham, enlisted in the Dorsets in 1933. He was one of many Brummies who served with the regiment, and there is still a Branch of The Devonshire and Dorset Regiment Association in the city.

I've checked he MIC and found 2 men with the exactly the same name, in the Dorsets. However, not knowing his reg. no. makes it difficult to know if one or other is actually him. I guess that if I called up the record cards it might help but its a long shot.

It could well help as if both served Overseas before 1916 you should have Embarkation dates & Theatres of War,First entered,Which may help to decide which is your Man,depending on Battalion.You are fortunate to only have two to decide about.......Pity the John Smiths

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ere, gor blimey guvner, what's wrong with us Londoners being in the Dorsets :o

One of my great-uncles and his cousin, Southwark lads and proud of it, enlisted and served with the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. I doubt either of them had been further west than Lambeth then.

Just remember wherever they went they increased the IQ by at least 200%, particularly if it was a Northern Regiment :lol:

My great uncle (older half brother of my grandfather), who is named on my signature line, served in the Dorsets, having been born in Banbury & brought up (at least by 1901) in the East End of London. He was a pre-war regular who was recalled on the outbreak of war, mobilised at Dorchester & then sent to France with the BEF.

So, it does look like there was no connection between where you lived & which regiment you may have joined, although my great grandfather who lived in Tilbury, Essex, & worked in the docks was enlisted in the East Kent Regiment in 1914.

Cheers

Mark

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk

Both my Gt. Uncles served as RSMs with the DCLI in WW1 and they both came from Southwark in London,Dads Dad also served with 1st DCLI and he came from Fulham, plus mums Brother fought and died with 5th Battalion,Dorsets..and he came from Sutton in Surrey.So i guess that in the latter part of WW1 that after going through basic training you were sent to the Regiment that needed replacements for the dead and wounded.

JW

You do not give a name for your grandfather, but I might be able to help you identify the right man. The following is extracted from the 1914 Star Roll for the Dorsetshire Regt.

7618 Pte A HAWKINS 31/08/14 P.O.W.

8143 Pte A H HAWKINS 16/08/14 Discharged Medically Unfit 29/10/15 and subsequently died 17/03/17

9294 Pte F HAWKINS 16/08/14 Discharged Medically Unfit 28/08/17

8005 Pte H HAWKINS 16/08/14 P.O.W.

6963 Pte J HAWKINS 16/08/14

3/7584 Pte W HAWKINS 23/10/14

(NB: W HAWKINS was a Special Reservist, NOT a Regular)

The Dorsets were actually subjected to gas attacks on Hill 60 twice; firstly when they held the front line on 1st May 1915 and again on the 5th May. On this latter date they went forward into the gas cloud in support of the Royal West Kents who were holding what remained of the line on the Hill. This was despite knowing full well the consequences of the gas, having lost 132 men killed in the first attack. They were to lose a further 23 killed on the 5th.

If you can give me any more details I may be able to pin him down for you.

Regards

Steve

I believe that many of the Casualties from this gas Cloud Attack are buried in Elverdinghe Communal cemetery extension,i was informed that the Chaplain who was conducting the Burial services there actually had to read the Burial service over his own Son,if anyone knows anything else about this post it on this thread.

for Elverdighe Cemetery...this should read Rheninghelst Cemetery Extension..sorry for the duff info..but i had to start work a five this morning so the Brain wasnt fully engaged.. :blink::blink:

Guest jwhawkins

Steve

brilliant thanks for all your asistance. Yes it seems to fit all the criteria. I think on this basis I'll download the medal card.

Just another thought which might determine that he was full time soldier. Apparently he was a marksman and was used as a forward observer/sniper.

regards

John

Hi John

Strange that he was a Sniper as so was my Grandad Frederick Abraham in the 6th Dorsets

See Picture below and below that is my write up. I wonder if they new each other I looked up the national Archives on line and found he has a medal card Dorset Reg 11152 Private + Labour Corps 246514 Private dates 1914-1920 I am new to all military terms so perhaps someone can help me out with any further information I can obtain as I need to know when and where he was born, what kind of information will be on the Medal Card? If any body else reading this can also tell then I would be grateful for any help. Thanks in anticipation.-Dawn

THE PICTURE ABOVE YOU SEE THAT TERRY SO KINDLY DONE FOR ME, BECAUSE I HAVE AN APPLE IMAC AND IT WOULD NOT LET ME DO IT, IS OF MY MUM AND HER DAD HE WAS A SNIPER IN THE 6TH DORSETS 1914-1920 NAME FREDERICK THOMAS ABRAHAM CAN ANY BODY PLEASE CONFIRM EVERYTHING WHICH IS ON HIS UNIFORM I DON'T UNDERSTAND MILTARY TERMS SO LAYMAN TERMS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP ESPECIALLY TERRY HE HAS BEEN GREAT. ALSO TO WISH YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY XMAS AND NEW YEAR 2005- DAWN

• 1 month later...

Dawn,

A few more details on your Grandfather gleaned from the 1914-15 star roll of the Labour Corps (WO 329/2846).

He first went to France on 13th July 1915 so was part of the original 6th Bn - which you knew already.

He was transferred to the Class Z Reserve (lowest level Reserve, maintained to keep a trained body of men until the armistice of 11.11.18 became full surrender thus officially ending of war) on 29th May 1919.

Interestingly it also states that the 1914-15 star was returned.

Will come back to you re the uniform shortly.

Regards

Steve

• 1 year later...
My wife's great grandfather and my great uncle served with the Dorsets in the st and 6th battalions respectively. The gas attack you refer to happened when the 1st battalion were holding the forward trenches in front of hill 60. The germans released gas from hoses on the other side of the railway embankment and within minutes the Dorsets were engulfed by the toxic vapours. I believe this happened around the 5th May 1915. The Dorsets suffered around 200 casualties, my wife's great grandfather was taken to a ADS in Larch Wood and then to a Field Hopsital in Bailleul where he died 4 days later. The 1st battalion was formed in Belfast before going across with the BEF. get in touch with me if you wish to know more about the Dorsets.

My great Uncle Jesse was in the Dorsets - can you tell me what the SWB means on his medal card. I'd like to know where he went.

Cheers Frances in Canada

Frances,

Could you either give his name and number or better still, post his MIC?

SWB could have two possible meanings:

1) Silver War Badge, or

2) South Wales Borderers.

1) Is unlikely, as SWB is a modern name for the badge. The actual rolls for them only refer to the "War Badge", and I have never seen it referred to by either on an MIC.

It is therefore more likely that he transferred either to or from the South Wales Borderers at some point in is active service.

I'm afraid I cannot be more specific without further details as above.

Regards

Steve