Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

rifleman andrew mcquiston

12th battalion

I was speaking to a friend last night who is heading out to the Somme this year and he is looking for a bit of help. He has a relation Andrew McQuiston who served in World War 1 being slightly injured at the Somme. He was serving with the 12th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles. I have identified his family details via the 1911 census but after July I have drawn a blank. Unfortunately I have not got his army number. The guy I was talking to last night is keen to identify if his relation recovered or was discharged after his injury at the Somme. Thanks in advance

Jim

I can see two with medal cards One is a Lieutenant RIR from 13 Queen Street Ballymena ? The other is Pte 19659 RIR & 142449 RAMC.

Gary

This could be your man, with later service in the RAMC:

post-25196-0-66087500-1463340338_thumb.p

There is also a Lt of the same name with a MIC to RIR and Gen List, to France, 28/05/16.

Lt. Andrew McQuiston was gazetted to the East Surrey Regt. 13.2.1916

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29498/supplement/2453

He was transferred to the Royal Irish Rifles for transport duty on 24.5.1916 (As I remember his M.I.C. gave a date of 28.5.1916 for landing in France)

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29622/supplement/5911

On 3.11.1916 he was employed in the Cavalry Remount Service.

He relinquished his commission on ceasing to be employed, and granted the hon. rank of Lt. 23.1.1918.

He was re-employed as a P.O.W. Camp Commandant on 25.3.1918.

Relinquished his commission on 21.5.1919 on account of ill-health contracted on active service.