Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private J Anderson,Scots Guards,10585

mysie

Hi can anyone help we are trying trying to find out what Hospital that the above man died in.We know he is buried in North Merchiston Cemetery Edinburgh.Thanks in advance.

Mary.

How do we know he died in hospital?

His Great Grandaughter found his Headstone in Merchiston Cemetery ,she had been led to believe he was buried in France , on asking the only relation left on that side of the family who is 96 she told her, oh no he died in Hospital, but does not remember if it was in Edinburgh or in other Uk hospitals.Sorry to be so vague but that is all she has to go on.

Mary.

His death is registered on scotlandspeople

1918 ANDERSON JAMES STEWART M 40 MORNINGSIDE EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN

ANDERSON, J.

Service No:10585

Date of Death:12/04/1918

Regiment/Service:Scots Guards 3rd Bn.

Grave Reference:O. 465.

Cemetery:EDINBURGH (NORTH MERCHISTON) CEMETERY

Additional Information:Husband of Elizabeth Wyne Anderson, of 3, Wardlaw Terrace, Edinburgh.

Scottish National War Memorial - James stewart Anderson born Portobello.

The death register entry should give place of death and his usual address (if not the same).

Ken

Oh Thanks for your help Ken i can pass that on to her,thanks again.

Mary.

Thanks Ken she is very emotional seeing all this,she grew up in Edinburgh thinking he was buried somewhere in France, only now to find he has been there only 1 mile away from where she was brought up and lived for years in Stenhouse. Thanks again for this .

Mary.

Thanks Ken she is very emotional seeing all this,she grew up in Edinburgh thinking he was buried somewhere in France, only now to find he has been there only 1 mile away from where she was brought up and lived for years in Stenhouse. Thanks again for this .

Mary.

I checked Scotlands People as I had some unused credits - he died of pulmonary TB. He died at Wardlow Terrace.

Craig

Craig thanks so very much for doing that.it was very kind of you .So he died at home and not in a Hospital. That will be another shock for her, it has gone from being buried in France to passing away in his own home. Strange why the family never knew this or maybe they just never asked.Thanks again for your help.

Mary.

Thanks Sam she knew about the Guards,but i never knew about being able to get his service records from them, i told her just to join one of the records sites but did say the chances were it might have been destroyed. I will pass on the link to her.Thanks again for your help she is away through to Merchiston with flowers from her Garden, this weekend has been a big shock for her,but this Forum has now given her and her family information that they would never have known about.

Mary.

Mary

Guards records were not held centrally with the others that suffered fire and water damage during WW2 hence they survived virtually intact and are not held by online sites like Ancestry and Find My Past.

Sam