Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th king's liverpool

lettman

I'm curious to know why the 4th King's Liverpool Regt, an Extra Reserve battalion, was mobilised for active service (and as early as 1915). I'm aware of where and when the unit served; my interest is more in the processes and decisions that went into sending such a battalion to the front, which must have been fairly unusual. Can any member shed some light on this, please?

It is fairly unusual, but the point of Extra Reserve battalions was that they could be used as complete units, whereas ordinary Special Reserve battalions (normally 3rd battalions) were primarily draft-finding units but doubling up in a home defence role.

There were twelve ER bns in England and Wales, three in Scotland and twelve in Ireland. In the latter case they were intended for home defence, as Ireland had no TF units.

Ron

Possibly a need for a formed trained Bn was put forward as a priority. The Bn may have been trained to the standard needed & tested as combat ready & so it was chosen in the need of the moment. Just a shot in the dark but seems plausable. The old "Subject to the needs of the service" clause invoked.

Apart from 4/Kings (Liverpool), only four other ER battalions seem to have served abroad. 7/Royal Fusiliers and 4/Bedfords both served with the Royal Naval Division from August 1916, and 4/S Staffs and 4/N Staffs, which both went to France in summer 1917 and served in various divisions. The latter two also spent some time at home in 67th Division, presumably as part of their "battle training".

Ron

Thanks for more information, gentlemen. I happen to have a medal pair to the 7th Bn Royal Fusiliers, so had better look for groups to these others!