Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance Corporal , 608, J. Martin 42 Battalion Australian Infantry

baird

There is a gravestone in Rutherglen Cemetery, Lanarkshire, Scotland for Lance Corporal ,608 , J.Martin, 42nd Battalion , Australian Infantry. Date of death is 16th August 1918 and his age given as 58 ( fifty eight).

The CWGC states that his parents were from Scotland .

I would appreciate any further information on Lance Corporal Martin.

There is another grave for a Canadian soldier which I also researched . I was told he died on board a hospital ship bound for Invergordon from France . His grandmother was told he would be buried near Invergordon but she insisted he be buried in Rutherglen where his family originated and she 'won her case'. I wonder if there is a similar story with Lance Corporal Martin.

Many thanks,

Baird

His service record can be downloaded from the National Archives of Australia

they should give you the info you are seeking

Search the records from Here

regards Ray

John (age 59) died in Stobhill Hospital Springburn Glasgow (the site of the 3rd and 4th Scottish Military Hospitals) of a fractured skull. His sister Elizabeth Mackay of 67 Stonelaw Drive RUTHERGLEN registered the death.

Ken

Many thanks for swift replies. He did have a family connection to Rutherglen through his sister , Elizabeth McKay.

Rutherglen War Memorial shows a sapper Henry McKay, 5th Div. Signal Coy. , Australian Forces killed in October 1917 at Ypres. Possibly a relative. He is buried in Menin Road South Cemetery.

Thanks again,

Baird

His service papers show

The cause of his death (a fractured skull) was an accidental injury

regards Ray

There is a gravestone in Rutherglen Cemetery, Lanarkshire, Scotland for Lance Corporal ,608 , J.Martin, 42nd Battalion , Australian Infantry. Date of death is 16th August 1918 and his age given as 58 ( fifty eight).

The CWGC states that his parents were from Scotland .

I would appreciate any further information on Lance Corporal Martin.

There is another grave for a Canadian soldier which I also researched . I was told he died on board a hospital ship bound for Invergordon from France . His grandmother was told he would be buried near Invergordon but she insisted he be buried in Rutherglen where his family originated and she 'won her case'. I wonder if there is a similar story with Lance Corporal Martin.

Many thanks,

Baird

The only Canadian buried in Rutherglen is Malcolm MacLucas

Service No:151837

Date of Death:15/11/1916

Regiment/Service:Canadian Infantry 43rd Bn.

Grave Reference:C. 2.

Cemetery:RUTHERGLEN CEMETERY

Additional Information:Son of Neil MacLucas, of Bendorloch, Argyllshire; husband of Grace P. MacLucas, of 121, 17th St., Brandon, Manitoba.

The Glasgow Herald of 16 November 1916 has: Died on 15th November, at 2nd Northern General Hospital, Leeds, of wounds received in action on 8th October, 1916, Private Malcolm MacLucas, Canadian Overseas Forces, beloved husband of Grace Scott."

Ken

So not Invergordon

Many thanks Ken,

the story about Invergordon came from a relative of Private McLucas in Canada.

Baird