Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Men of Hailsham Football Club (Sussex)

dseagull

Hi;

I hope this is a suitable place for my question.

I am Secretary of Hailsham Town Football Club, who play in the Southern Combination league. I recently received David Dyer's book, 'The Heroes of Hailsham' and on reading it, noted that a number of those mentioned are recorded as being players of Hailsham FC (as was - the club became Hailsham Town in 1970).

Current List;

LSgt. Ernest Atkins - Royal Sussex Regiment

Pvt. George Boniface - Royal Sussex Regiment

Pte. Louis H. Boniface - Suffolk Regiment

Cpl. Joseph Levett - Royal Sussex Regiment

LCpl Walter J. Levett - Grenadier Guards

2Lt. Frederick Marillier DCM - Royal Sussex Regiment

Pvt. David Matthews - Royal Sussex Regiment

Pvt. David Parsons - Royal Sussex Regiment

There are also two three (see below) from World War II;

Pvt. Mark Fuller - Royal Sussex Regiment

LSgt. Thomas Newnham - Beds & Herts Regiment

Sgt. Herbert Pettigrew - Royal Artillery

I have been in correspondence with the author, David Dyer, who has suggested another name, that of Ernest William Atkins as above. Admittedly it is a very long shot, but I wondered if anyone has any evidence proving LSgt. Atkins was at one time a player of HTFC. He was 18 in the 1911 Census, employed as a School Teacher Assistant at Hailsham School 'and was both a keen cricketer and footballer'. He was killed in action on 3 September 1916 on the Ancre (Hamel) and is named on the Thiepval Memorial as a soldier with no known grave.

SEE BELOW; - E.W Atkins Confirmed as player.

The reason for this is not just one of interest, but also of commemoration. At a recent Committee meeting of the club, I raised the idea of a memorial to these brave men in our clubhouse, and want to be sure that we do not miss anyone off. We have a few old team photos from the late 1890's/early 1900's which have names underneath too, so I intend to check these as well.

Any assistance would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks.

• Admin

British Newspaper Archive

The Sussex Express Friday September 12 1913 discussing the prospects for the coming season notes, "The career of the second eleven will be watched with keen interest, Atkins, also a centre-half player taking the lead."

The captain of the first team was the centre-half named Button.

In the October 10 1913 edition Hailsham played the Engineers in the Eastbourne Junior League 1st Division and the first goal was scored by 'Atkins' in a 3-3 Draw. As Button was playing I guess that was the 1st team.

In the November 13 edition 'Atkins' is back in the Reserves playing a friendly against Hellingly Asylum, they lost 3-1.

December 13 Atkins played in the reserves when they beat Upper Dicker 3-1 Yaayy, finally a win!

None of these match reports offer initials, unlike the cricket team where E.W. Atkins makes frequent appearances each season from 1911.

You can access the British Newspaper Archive at Hailsham Library or using one of the low cost trial offers. Hopefully your records will have his initials. He,incidentally wrote a letter from France that was published in the paper.

Unfortunately can't find an obituary.

Ken

Hi dseagull,;

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry that I don't have an answer for you. I suspect that you may have already done it, but have you checked for an obituary in the local newspaper, and with the school (if it still exists) to see if they have researched him?

He has a set of service papers that survive, from which you can easily establish his military service, but not surprisingly make no reference to whether he played for your FC. As a real long shot there is a letter to a Mr A F Rich from 1995 (giving his address) who was enquiring about him. If he is still alive, and you can trace him, he might be able to help.

What seems particularly sad (although perhaps not uncommon) is that his service record (in February 1918) records personal effects ( "Damaged watch: Cap Badge: 1 Envelope addressed: newspaper: addressed card: Post_ Card" were sent to his mother. To my way of thinking (speculation) , it implies that his body may have been found (and buried), from which the items were recovered, but that it was subsequently lost - and hence he is only commemorated, rather than being identified in a specific grave.

Good luck with you research.

Regards

Chris

Many thanks both!

That gives me a good starting point, and it seems quite a coincidence that an Atkins was playing for the Seconds that season - that sort of fits in with what I imagined if this is 'our' man - back in those days 'youngsters' weren't quite as exposed to first team football as they are today. I will have to check to see if we have any photos around that time, although from memory what we have is earlier.

Glad to see that match reports exist - I have found results being reported in the Parish Magazine, but no actual reports from specific games, which gives me another avenue to explore.

Good luck with your quest.

Dave has done excellent work for both Hailsham and Hellingly, so finding "Atkins" is a bonus for you both to ensure none are forgotten at Hailsham Town.

As a Belt and Braces approach, if any team squads from 1910 on exists, it might be worth checking all thier Names against the Hailsham Fallen on the War Memorial or with Dave.

Hi

It sometimes helps to look for the relatives who may be able to add more info. so.......

Ernest's father died in 1903. on the 1911 census his mother and sister Doris Mary, aged 10 yrs are living at Sandhill Farm, Halland, Framfield, Susssex.the address given in the service records.

There are a number of public trees on Ancestry but quite a few have mixed up another Ernest William Atkins who was born 1883 not 1893 the one we are looking for.

In 1923 his mother was living at 16 London Road, Hailsham (passenger list for brother Arthur George, a Missionary, whose wife Lois,born in India nee Rockey, 11.10.1887,died in Canada 1969) They had 2 children Peter born 1931 and Barbara born 1933, in England but in 1940 were living in Madison, New Jersey. Arthur was a Minister.

His younger sister Doris Mary born 23 April 1900 died Torbay 1969, also became a teacher.

Have sent a PM to one of the tree owners as there is a photo of an Ernest William Atkins but I think the wrong one with the right parents and siblings. Still looking...

Regards Barry

The photo is definitely not our Ernest, confirmed from another tree this chap died in 1948.

Nothing to add I'm afraid, but I wanted to wish you well in this dseagull - not only because I'm a Sussex man myself (Brighton) and a football supporter (Brighton again, of course), but because I happen to have come across Ernest's service papers on Ancestry in the past while researching my own relatives, so I feel a sense of connection, albeit at a remove. It appears Atkins isn't in fact a very common name (although I've heard it called a vulgar one on a number of occasions!) so that should help a bit at least. All the best in your commemoration.

Cheers, Pat

Many thanks all

I think I need to book into the library to have a look at the newspaper archive - I have been searching on the 'Lives of the First World War' website at the Sussex Express newspaper articles under various footballing terms, and come up with several references to 'Atkins', but no initials on the limited and OCR'd previews.

It has also given me several other names to check back on which I will update on accordingly once I have done so - Pvt. W J Jones is a possible, although it is a common name so will need more research.

Whilst beyond the scope of this website, some may be interested to know that a very limited glance on the same website has also earmarked Herbert Pettigrew, who died age 30 in WW2 on the Khedive Ismail off the Maldive Islands as a (very) probable player for the memorial, From an article in 1932 (would have been 18 at the time, fitting the description of a 'promising young player', he is named as follows;

" HERBERT PETTIGREW. A promising young player, Pettigrew was formerly a mem tho Hailsham Club. joined Hailsham tins season and has justified his inclusion iu the first eleven at left back. tackles well and has a powerful kick."

Again the OCR hasn't quite captured everything so will need further checking, but I think on the balance of probability, it looks very much like he is another we lost.

• Admin

Although Atkins enlistment in Eastbourne predates Claude Lowther' s special appeal for 'an Eastbourne contingent' by a couple of days he made ' a special appeal to cricketers, footballers and others who have distinguished themselves upon the field of sport to decorate this town with laurels from the battlefield.'

He enlisted on a Saturday, Not conclusive but I wonder if any other team members enlisted on th 5 September.

Ken

David may well have pointed out the Hailsham Roll of Honour website to you, and I'm sure that will confirm that Atkins was a Hailsham footballer....

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Sussex/Hailsham.html

No other casualty is mentioned as having a football connection, but comparing those and Dave's expanded list may throw up a few more potential players.

You might also want to pay special attention in case there is any reference to a Nelson Carter!

These were some additional Names found for Dave

Name: Alfred James Munn. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Residence: Heathfield, Sussex

Death Date: 8 May 1918. Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Lewes, Sussex.

Rank: Rifleman. Regiment: Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own). Battalion: 13th Battalion

Number: 45034. Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Comments: Formerly 12788, K.R.R.C.

Name: George Edward Robins. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Residence: Brighton, Sussex

Death Date: 11 Nov 1918. Death Location: Russia. Enlistment Location: London

Rank: Private. Regiment: Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment). Battalion: 2/10th Battalion

Number: 376946. Type of Casualty: Died of wounds. Theatre of War: Russian Theatre

Comments: Formerly Tr/13/76787, T.R. Battn., 34447, Norfolk Regt.

Name: William Herbert Wenham. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Death Date: 25 Aug 1917

Death Location: British Expeditionary Force. Enlistment Location: Hailsham

Rank: Private. Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment. Battalion: 1/5 Battalion

Number: TF/202966. Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Name: Arthur Shaw. Birth Place: Hellingley, Hailsham, Sussex. Residence: Ledbury

Death Date: 2 Nov 1914. Death Location: France & Flanders.

Enlistment Location: Eastbourne.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line (incl. Yeomanry and Imperial Camel Corps). Battalion: 7th Dragoon Guards (Princess Royal). Number: 2112

Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Name: Alan Allcorn. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Death Date: 18 Oct 1916

Death Location: British Expeditionary Force. Enlistment Location: Hastings.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment. Battalion: 7th Battalion.

Number: G/18040. Type of Casualty: Died of wounds. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Name: Ernest Edmund Coleman. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Death Date: 3 Sep 1916.

Death Location: British Expeditionary Force. Enlistment Location: Eastbourne.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment. Battalion: 11th Battalion.

Number: SD/157. Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Name: William Carver. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Death Date: 30 Jun 1916.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment. Battalion: 12th Battalion.

Number: SD/1799. Type of Casualty: Killed in action.

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Name: William Charles Foord. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Death Date: 30 Jun 1916.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment. Battalion: 12th Battalion.

Number: SD/1323. Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Name: George William Godden. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Death Date: 16 Oct 1915.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment. Battalion: 2nd Battalion. Number: G/6923

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Name: Alfred William Goldsmith. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Death Date: 10 Mar 1918.

Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Eastbourne, Sussex.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment). Battalion: 4th Battalion

Number: G/42564. Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Comments: Formerly G/25260, Royal West Kent Regt.

Name: William Hearsay. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Death Date: 4 Mar 1916.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment. Battalion: 7th Battalion. Number: G/345.

Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre.

Name: Walter Jesse Levett. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Death Date: 31 Jul 1917.

Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Eastbourne.

Rank: L/Corporal. Regiment: Grenadier Guards. Battalion: 2nd Battalion. Number: 8205

Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre.

Name: Alfred Miller. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Death Date: 1 Sep 1914.

Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Eastbourne, Sussex.

Rank: Gunner. Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery. Number: 53162

Name: Harold Godfrey Paine. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Death Date: 2 Nov 1916

Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Haywards Heath, Sussex

Rank: BDR. Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery. Number: 14729

Name: Alfred Parsons. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Death Date: 21 Oct 1916.

Rank: Private. Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment. Battalion: 13th Battalion. Number: G/15960.

Name: Lester Stredwick. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Death Date: 28 Oct 1918.

Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Eastbourne.

Rank: DVR. Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery. Number: 85398

Type of Casualty: Died. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Name: Arthur George Waters. Birth Place: Hailsham, Sussex. Death Date: 28 Jun 1916

Death Location: British Expeditionary Force. Enlistment Location: Hove

Rank: Private. Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment. Battalion: 9th Battalion

Number: G/3408. Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre.

With your mention of Pettigrew, it sounds as though Dave is working on Heroes of Hailsham for WW2.

There is a Pettigrew connection with Royal Sussex in WW1, which might have a connection.....

PETTIGREW, D. Rank: Private. Service No: 241498. Date of Death: 25/09/1917. Age: 25.
Regiment/Service: Royal Sussex Regiment 11th Bn.
Grave Reference: XXI. J. 9. Cemetery: HOOGE CRATER CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of John and Alice Pettigrew, of Horton-cum-Studley, Oxford.
Incidentally, the late John Baines magnum opus "The Day Sussex Died" has been reissued with some revisions by his widow Julie.
Whilst 30 June seems too soon for your Memorial to be completed, it may gain you additional publicity to have Julie and Dave signing copies of their books in order to raise awareness of your Memorial. If you see the Chairman of Hailsham RBL, be sure to ask him for my signed copy of Hailshams Heroes that he has yet to return. I never got to read it myself!

Many thanks for that Kevin, that is most helpful. Unfortunately I agree that the 30th June is likely to be too soon.

The club have been invited to take part in the Armed Forces Day and Somme Centenary services at the War Memorial, and I will be attending both.

On the case of Pte. William J Jones I have found the following, although it's not conclusive at all - as, according to the book, "he enlisted at the start of the War having been with the Territorials."

Hailsham were represented W. Terry (goal); H. Gneden and W. Jones (backs); B. Bntton

13 November 1914 - Sussex Agricultural Express - Lewes, East Sussex, England

As you can clearly tell I am by no means an expert, but as a trained soldier it seems rather unlikely to me he would still be playing for the club four months after the outbreak of war, and would most probably have been in France already at this time??

There is also a later article - again, I am going off the previews here, which casts further doubt;

W. Jones, at back, and J. Campbell in the for] - both strong man. being absent, their places being occupied S. Rich and A. Lusted, the latter scoring Hailsham's goal. Hailsham 3rd XI. went Saturday afternoon and were defeated three to one. - 21 November 1919 - Sussex Agricultural Express - Lewes, East Sussex, England

The W.Jones named on the War Memorial died in September 1916, and the 'Hailsham FC' W. Jones appears to have survived the war.

I have also highlighted the name of A.Lusted in the above quote - Potentially this could be Alfred Thomas Lusted, DCM, who survived the war but died in 1922 and was added to the War Memorial. I am not sure as to if he would have recovered, or even been demobbed, soon enough to play - and indeed score - for Hailsham in November 1919. I have looked forward a few years, and found part of an obituary from 1922, which gives the following;

After lung illness, due to lung trouble. contracted whilst war service - 19 August 1922 - Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Hastings, East Sussex

Thoughts on anything I have mentioned would be welcome!

I'm no expert either, but being a Territorial doesn't imply that he was a fully trained soldier ready for action abroad. I understood that the Territorials implicity were for Home Service and had to sign their agreement to serve abroad. of course many did so without hesitation, but it would still be possible for W Jones to be a Territorial and still be in England in November 1914. Equally Hailsham FC W Jones may be a different man to W Jones the Territorial! Too much water under the bridge to tell without other evidence.

Lusted is interesting, I disagree, there could have been time for him to have been discharged and play by November 1919, and only then would his lung condition have become apparent, possibly due to gas poisoning. More detective work to tie him to Hailsham FC. Does the Club have records back to pre 1914? Perhaps addresses or other information?

Nor should you let 30 June pass without contacting local media for publicity which may unlock some of the current puzzles. Go to it! These lads deserve it.

Re William James Jones:

The size of the War Gratuity payment paid to his Aunt (Mary) indicates eligible war service from the start of the war.

His medal card does not show an entitlement to a 14 Star or 14/15 Star medal. His medal roll indicates that he only saw service in active theatre with the 11th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment. The battalion didn't depart for France until 4th March 1916.

If he were in the TF at the outbreak of the war, and subsequently joined the 11th Battalion it doesn't appear that he signed the Imperial Service Obligation before the end of October 1914. If he had (then given he didn't have a Star entitlement) he should have been entitled to the Territorial Force War Medal.

Regards

Chris

If he were in the TF at the outbreak of the war, and subsequently joined the 11th Battalion it doesn't appear that he signed the Imperial Service Obligation before the end of October 1914. If he had (then given he didn't have a Star entitlement) he should have been entitled to the Territorial Force War Medal.

Regards

Chris

I suspect he probably enlisted straight in to a service battalion - if he was a serving territorial at the outbreak of war, unless he was medically released or discharged by the CO then it's unlikely he was able to enlist as he would be usually held to his T.F. terms for at least the first 12 months. That being said you can never entirely rule anything out without a service record.

#602 enlisted 31 Aug 14 so there's a good chance #607 was allocated the same day (if it wasn't then it confirms he should have had service with someone else).

Craig

dseagull (seagull - how could you link to Brighton?) You probably know all this, but the link to Hailsham Butchers as original team name may help if occupations for potential Names are to do with the meat trade!

Hailsham Town F.C. is a football club based in Hailsham, East Sussex, England. They were established in 1885 and joined the Sussex County League in 1955 as Hailsham F.C., changing to their present name in 1970. For the 2015–16 season, they are members of the Southern Combination Football League Premier.
The club are known locally as 'The Stringers', a nickname which derives from traditional industry in the town, and was adopted officially at the turn of the Millennium.
Founded in 1885 as Hailsham Town, the club briefly played under the name of Hailsham Butchers before the First World War. They would win the East Sussex Junior Cup in 1896, and also reached the final of the Sussex Senior Cup in 1902. Changing their name to Hailsham between 1902–53, the club won the Sussex Intermediate Cup in the 1953–54 season and then won the Division Two Cup in 1956. In 1959, Hailsham became the first Sussex side (all leagues) to install floodlights.
What's the link with the Sussex Royal Ulster Rifles Charity Cup? Any historical links to the War years?
With regard to your WW2 research, it could be worthwhile posting a similar request on WW2Talk Forums, to see if anything else for WW2 develops.
The Haffenden family always have been keen footballers, there may be branches locally that could assist in clarifying if Maurice played for the "Stringers".

Apologies for my error with regard to Jones - it was, what I thought was at least, an 'educated' guess that anyone with training would be the 'first to go' but clearly I was mistaken!

dseagull (seagull - how could you link to Brighton?) You probably know all this, but the link to Hailsham Butchers as original team name may help if occupations for potential Names are to do with the meat trade!

Hailsham Town F.C. is a football club based in Hailsham, East Sussex, England. They were established in 1885 and joined the Sussex County League in 1955 as Hailsham F.C., changing to their present name in 1970. For the 2015–16 season, they are members of the Southern Combination Football League Premier.
The club are known locally as 'The Stringers', a nickname which derives from traditional industry in the town, and was adopted officially at the turn of the Millennium.
Founded in 1885 as Hailsham Town, the club briefly played under the name of Hailsham Butchers before the First World War. They would win the East Sussex Junior Cup in 1896, and also reached the final of the Sussex Senior Cup in 1902. Changing their name to Hailsham between 1902–53, the club won the Sussex Intermediate Cup in the 1953–54 season and then won the Division Two Cup in 1956. In 1959, Hailsham became the first Sussex side (all leagues) to install floodlights.
What's the link with the Sussex Royal Ulster Rifles Charity Cup? Any historical links to the War years?
With regard to your WW2 research, it could be worthwhile posting a similar request on WW2Talk Forums, to see if anything else for WW2 develops.
The Haffenden family always have been keen footballers, there may be branches locally that could assist in clarifying if Maurice played for the "Stringers".

Many thanks Kevin - I was aware of that as I wrote a lot of it ;)

The Royal Ulster Rifles Cup was originally played for in the late 1890's, and indeed the same, original trophy is still in use today. It is a Sussex FA Competition, and last year we reached the Third Round, going out to Lancing.

With regard to my username, I am, for my sins, a Brighton fan and have used this username, or a variation of it, for many years. My wife tolerates the Seagull tattoo on my shoulder - she has said she would draw the line at the town crest!

Lusted is interesting, I disagree, there could have been time for him to have been discharged and play by November 1919, and only then would his lung condition have become apparent, possibly due to gas poisoning. More detective work to tie him to Hailsham FC. Does the Club have records back to pre 1914? Perhaps addresses or other information?

Nor should you let 30 June pass without contacting local media for publicity which may unlock some of the current puzzles. Go to it! These lads deserve it.

I think there may be a link - the name isn't uncommon locally, but to get an initial as well is certainly interesting and merits further attention.

Sadly there are no records within the club - we have some old photos as mentioned, some of which are originals, however nothing in writing. I have already checked with the East Sussex Records Office and they do not either. It's a long-term project of mine to write the definitive history of the club. With regard to getting the memorial complete for the 30th June, I found myself pondering this on the way home from work today and as much as I would ideally want to, I am not sure that it will be logistically possible - at the moment I am concentrating on the research, but also have to find someone to make the physical memorial. What might be though is a date of 1 October 2016 - 100 years to the day that one of 'our boys', Frederick Marillier, won his DCM.

I have now confirmed that Herbert Pettigrew, killed 12/1/1944, did play for Hailsham FC and as such is another to be added to the list. I have a photo from the Sussex Agricultural Express from when he joined the club, showing him in kit which matches photos we have of around the early 1930's. He joined the club as an 18-year old in 1932 and appears to have been a fairly regular performer until the start of WW1.

RIP :poppy:

I think we can discount W. Jones though - I have found an obituary from the late 1930's for a Hailsham player from the turn of the century where 'our' W.Jones was in attendance at the funeral. Task for tonight is A.T Lusted, DCM.

You will note I have changed the topic title - I have been able to confirm that Ernest William Atkins did indeed play for Hailsham FC.

He was appointed Captain of the seconds in 1912 as below;

Sussex Agricultural Express - Friday 01 August 1913

post-128325-0-80424300-1463516534_thumb.

RIP. :poppy:

• Admin

You will note I have changed the topic title - I have been able to confirm that Ernest William Atkins did indeed play for Hailsham FC.

He was appointed Captain of the seconds in 1912

:

That's good news, thanks for the confirmation, the thread kind of got a bit confusing!

Ken

I can find no conclusive proof on A. T. Lusted at present, but I do have an 'A Lusted' named in teams in 1913, and then again in 1919 before petering out in 1920/21. The next reference to A. Lusted begins in the 'school sports' pages in around 1934, named 'Alfred Lusted' - perhaps a son? - the report of A. T. Lusted DCM's funeral lists a fiance.

I think, on the balance of probability, it probably is our man, and have come to something of a dead-end now on this one. I am tempted to add him to my list.

During the course of tonight, I have also though been able to add two more. Both were members of the 'Hailsham Athletic Football Club', which merged with Hailsham FC/Hailsham Town FC in 1912. Without Kevin's posting above (15 May 2016 - 12:26 am), I wouldn't have found one of these, because they are not commemorated on the town war memorial;

Pte. Louis H. Boniface - Suffolk Regiment

:poppy:

From Wiki and other internet sources, I have sent you by PM details on Herbert Pettigrew, but as a WW2 casualty I didn't want to stretch the Mods tolerance too far.

WW2Talk forum would be a good place to start for any other WW2 casualties, and unfortunately the Khedive Ismail tragedy when the Jap sub I-27 sheltered below the survivors of the sinking no doubt caused many more deaths as the brutal truth was that an dangerous enemy submarine that had been located needed to be destroyed, regardless of the "collateral damage" as many other ships could be saved.

I doubt whether the RN commanders had an easy conscience, though....

• 1 month later...

Hi All;

The memorial has now been completed and will shortly be going up in the clubhouse. Details of official unveiling to follow once preseason madness (4 mandatory meetings in 10 days for this volunteer!) has calmed a little.

Thanks to all those who helped in putting this together.

Memorialframed.jpg

Nice to see this nearing fruition.

Pedant alert but you might find people commenting on the use of the Americanism "Pvt" instead of the English "Pte" for Private.

The main thing is the Remembrance, and you have done your boys proud.

Well done

There may be other Pals close by who might like to attend, refresh us on timings and location, please.