Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paddy Duffy [Possibly Limerick] - SOLVED. Irish Army uniform, 1934-40

alliekiwi

Hi, all

This postcard photograph was put up in a Limerick genealogy group. I'm wondering if anyone can identify the uniform, which might lead to working out who Josie Kirby's boyfriend Paddy Duffy is.

All I can tell is that he's wearing leather gaiters and some sort of riding pants, which makes me believe there was some horse-riding going on. I think he's carrying a swagger stick, but could be easily re-educated into that being a riding crop.

However, the uniform confuses me with its obviously two-toned colour. The collar and sleeves are a different colour to that of the rest of the uniform.

As well, he's wearing a field service cap, and I'm not sure that was commonly worn by the BEF. Google suggests the Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment for the hat, but I'm not sure the uniform fits that.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Allie

post-13541-0-29972800-1463016180_thumb.j

post-13541-0-42187400-1463016190_thumb.j

Thanks, Tom. That makes perfect sense given the name of the man in question and the Limerick location. I was beginning to eye up Austria/Germany - or some army in that vague sort of location - in desperation, which really didn't go well with Paddy Duffy!

Allie

Irish volunteer, infantry. 1934 - 1940. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Tom. Cheers!

Allie

post-13541-0-99805600-1463035991_thumb.j

Not a bother, the Irish Army unforms and helmets looked German in those early days. They also had the German 1916 pattern Helmet made by Vickers from 1928. hHre is a photo from 1939.

IA_zpsaivi0s2j.jpg

They certainly made a very good effort at being decidedly non-British in appearance before the Second World War. Thanks for the link, Tom. I shall happily go off an research further, now that I'm no longer focussed on the wrong part of Europe.