Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

inniskilling dragoons

Hello All,

Below are notes that I have are from a extract from an article from Coloney Blakeney, who served with the Battalion during the whole of its stay in India.

The 1st Garrison Battalion was raised at Seaford 18/12/15 by Major Smithers by the transfer of about 400 ranks from the Middlesex Regiment, 200 men of the Suffolk Regiment and by drafts of men from the Essex Surrey, Kent and Sussex Regiments.

The Battalion reached Delhi fort March 1916 where they remained for 3 years .

March 26th 300 men under Major Ward went to Landour a hill station.

Unfortunately I have no more info for 1916.

The Battalion lost 51 men during its stay in and they rest in Delhi Cemetery. Tombstones were erected and the Regiment placed a brass tablet to their memory in St James Church Delhi.

I have not had much joy in finding more about Coloney Blakeney or the Officers from above.

Very hard to research about this Battalion, hope the above can be of use with other,s research.

Colonel William Edward Albemarle Blakeney. Indian Army and Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiments. 1914 Star trio for service in France in 1914.

There is not much written about the Garrison Battalions in India, so it is always good to have more information. These Battalions consisted of men unfit for front line duties.

​Do you have a reference for the article by Colonel Blakeney (title/date/publication)?

There is a photograph of the Officers of the 1st Garrison Battalion, from a page called "Photographs and biographies from Home, Garrison and Training battalions" "The Bedfordshire Regiment in the Great War"

http://bedfordregiment.org.uk/Biographies/otherbios1.html

Cheers

Maureen

See entry for Col. Blakeney in the peerage.com

http://www.thepeerage.com/p19514.htm#i195132

Edit to add:-

He took command of 1st Garrison Bn., The Bedfordshire Regt. on 8.1.1916

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29450/page/1006

Retired 14.1.1920

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31779/page/1836

Officially relinquished command of 1st Garr. Bn., The Bedfordshire Regt. 2.2.1920

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31779/page/1836

Invested with the C.B.E. 12.9.1919

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31547/supplement/11460

Mentioned in despatches for services in India in the Gazette published 11.6.1920

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31938/supplement/6453

Thank you all for your help and links.

The info I have is from an article from the "The Wasp Magazine" quoting an article by Col. Blakeney, unfortunately not quoting from when or where.

Cheers.

I found by Googling that "The Wasp'' is the regimental journal, and there is another GWF thread which mentions this publication, including that copies are available at Bedford Central Library

Do you have the date of the article in The Wasp?.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureene,

It looks like it could be May 1992.

Hope in time more info becomes available about the Bedfordshire Garrison Battalions

Cheers.

Thanks for advising inniskilling dragoos.

I guess it is most likely that the original article by Colonel Blakeney appeared in one of the earlier editions of The Wasp which appears to have commenced publication in 1922.

Cheers

Maureen

Dear All,

One of Blakeney's officers, Lieut Gerald Arthur Swift, born 13 Jul 1895 (back row, second from right), had injured his leg in an off-duty motorcycle accident shortly after being commissioned. He had started out as a Pte., 2/9 London Regt. (2 Sep 1914), and had been appointed to a temporary commission as 2Lt., The Queen's Regt (5 Jan 1915). After convalescence, Swift transferred to the 1st Garrison Battalion, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment (3 Jan 1916). The battalion landed in India on 19 Mar 1916. Swift was promoted Lieut., on 1 Jul 1917. He qualified in Army Signalling and Colloquial Hindustani, and quit the comfortable Delhi surroundings for Quettta, having been posted to Indian Signals on 1 Oct 1917.

On 14 May 1918 (the limp from his shortened leg notwithstanding), he joined the Zhob Militia in Baluchistan. Lieut. Swift survived the turbulent Third Afghan War, 1919 (one of the British Officers was killed), and was, latterly, Adjutant, Infantry, Zhob Militia until 9 Jun 1920 (medal with clasp).

Swift was demobilized in the UK on 9 Jul 1920 (Lieut.), and thereupon joined the Indian Police - landing in India on 20 Nov 1920 (KPM 14 Aug 1947).

Kindest regards,

Kim.

post-122353-0-67758300-1463139647_thumb.

Thanks Maureen and also thanks to Kim for posting a very interesting post , hopefully over time more history will be added about the men whom served in the Garrison Battalion .

Regards.

Dear inniskilling dragoos (and my compliments to Maureen),

To make more sense of the ca. Feb 1916 officer group photo above (the original print is to be found in The Tatler's Sporting and Country House supplement of late June 1916, I understand), I add the names of the officers:-

Back row: 2Lt J. Williamson; 2Lt W. C. K. Holloway; 2Lt G. Hyman; 2Lt Edward Newill Gwyther; 2Lt A. C. Walker; 2Lt E. C. Lewis; 2Lt F. L. Titchmarsh; 2Lt G. A. Swift; 2Lt A. N. Collingwood

Middle row: 2Lt W. A. Linfield; Lt F. R. Curry; 2Lt G. Tanner; Lt H. R. Bousanquet; 2Lt J. D. Walker; Lt H. Callaway; 2Lt William Pharoah Chowns; 2Lt A. E. Gaskin; 2Lt A. C. P. Seymour-Higgins.

Front row: Capt R. D. Story; Maj W. T. Ward; Lt C. F. Price; Capt L. Morgan-Smith; Col W. E. A. Blakeney; Capt H. Sainsbury; Capt G. A. Adams; Capt R. Rushbrooke; Lt J. W. L. Ellis.

Furthermore, I attach my on-going manuscript about the life of G. A. Swift (later KPM), for general interest.

As an aside, it would be appreciated if someone could post a portrait or information about Lt Arthur Frederick Reilly, IARO, Zhob Militia and formerly Frontier Police. A. F. Reilly was killed during Third Afghan, during a rescue action which subsequently attracted DSOs etc., yet Reilly got nothing, it seems...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

thelindsayhouse@web.de

Kim.

Dok1.doc

post-76-0-12745300-1463287728_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-99384400-1463287753_thumb.jpgI have the diary of Major H Sainsbury that covers the formation and time in India of the 1st Garrison Battalion.

Raster Scanning, is the above diary a personal possession, or is it from the Regimental Archive, or elsewhere?

Cheers

Maureen

It is a personal possession Maureen.

This diary must be very rare. Of all the Garrison Battalions which served in India during WW1, I am only aware of one published account 1st Garrison Battalion The Manchester Regiment, India, Singapore, Hong Kong & Siberia by Robert Bonner

Are you considering making the diary accessible in some form, such as publishing a book, or uploading a scanned copy to the Internet Archive (Archive.org), or providing a photocopy to the archive of your choice, so that researchers have access?

Cheers

Maureen

Dear Kim, Maureene and Raster Scanning.

Thank you all very much for taking the trouble to contribute to this post, to me it has been very interesting to gain an insight into the men in the battalion. My initial interest was to try and find more about my Great Uncle Harry Reeves 24320 who was transfered from the 1st Bn Buffs L/8947 after being very badly injured at the beginning of the war, but as the above shows there is just so much that we do not know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards to all.

Dear All (and my compliments to Raster Scanning),

Just to add to what Harry Brook so ably posted, I found this in the January 1924 Indian Army List:-

Blakeney, W. E. A. - Col.., retd., I.A. -

Egypt, 1882. - Medal. Bronze Star.

N.-W. Frontier of India, 1897-98. - Operations on the Samana and in the Kurram Valley during Aug. and Sep. 97. Relief of Gulistan. - Medal with 2 clasps.

Tirah, 1897-98. - Clasp.

The War of 1914-21. - Despatches, Lond. Gaz., 11th June 20.

C.B.E.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim.

I read your interesting document. One small point, mention of the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment is incorrect as the regiment was not named as such until after the war in 1919. I will take a look to see if Swift is mentioned.

Dear Raster Scanning,

If it is not to much trouble while looking for G.A. Swift could you keep an eye out for H.Reeves 24320.

Regards

Inniskilling Dragoon.

Dear Raster,

Many thanks, 1) for replying so promptly, and 2) for volunteering to look through the Major Sainsbury treasure, for a mention in the text (or inclusion in a further Officer group photo), concerning Lieut. G. A. Swift.

It would be amazing if Pte Reeves was also noted; after all Inniskilling got the ball rolling (thanks!).

Finally, I am most grateful to you, for picking up my error of naming, and will correct the Swift Saga accordingly. Indeed, the proper naming, which you so rightly pointed out, is plain to see on the cover of Major Sainsbury's diary.

Keep up the good work!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 9 months later...

Dear All,

Since the above research activity, I have happily secured a better scan of the battalion officers, and a detail of 2Lt G. A. Swift - latterly awarded a KPM GVIR in 1947 with the Indian Police. See also a detail of his IGS Afgh NWF 1919, and 35 Jubilee.1 Garr Bn Scanned by Derek GWF.jpg2Lt G. A. Swift 1916 Scanned by Derek GWF.jpgKPM minis a la Supt G. A. Swift.jpgG. A. Swift, Zhob Militia, Indian Police.JPG

Any comments would be gratefully received...!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

thelindsayhouse@web.de

• 2 years later...

Kim

Can you zoom in and give me a better shot of G. Hyman pls ?

Regards

Dave

Always been intrigued with the 1st GB Bedfords. Residue of the 5th Devons were posted to them when the Devons went to Palestine. Also officers like Hyman above ended up in the Reserve Bn's which are unbelievably difficult to research.

Anything anyone has on the GB Bedfords would be gratefully received.

Regards

Dave

• 3 years later...
On 13/05/2016 at 16:08, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear inniskilling dragoos (and my compliments to Maureen),

To make more sense of the ca. Feb 1916 officer group photo above (the original print is to be found in The Tatler's Sporting and Country House supplement of late June 1916, I understand), I add the names of the officers:-

Back row: 2Lt J. Williamson; 2Lt W. C. K. Holloway; 2Lt G. Hyman; 2Lt Edward Newill Gwyther; 2Lt A. C. Walker; 2Lt E. C. Lewis; 2Lt F. L. Titchmarsh; 2Lt G. A. Swift; 2Lt A. N. Collingwood

Middle row: 2Lt W. A. Linfield; Lt F. R. Curry; 2Lt G. Tanner; Lt H. R. Bousanquet; 2Lt J. D. Walker; Lt H. Callaway; 2Lt William Pharoah Chowns; 2Lt A. E. Gaskin; 2Lt A. C. P. Seymour-Higgins.

Front row: Capt R. D. Story; Maj W. T. Ward; Lt C. F. Price; Capt L. Morgan-Smith; Col W. E. A. Blakeney; Capt H. Sainsbury; Capt G. A. Adams; Capt R. Rushbrooke; Lt J. W. L. Ellis.

Furthermore, I attach my on-going manuscript about the life of G. A. Swift (later KPM), for general interest.

As an aside, it would be appreciated if someone could post a portrait or information about Lt Arthur Frederick Reilly, IARO, Zhob Militia and formerly Frontier Police. A. F. Reilly was killed during Third Afghan, during a rescue action which subsequently attracted DSOs etc., yet Reilly got nothing, it seems...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

thelindsayhouse@web.de

Kim.

Dok1.doc 125 kB · 3 downloads

Alan Charles Pryce Higgins was born Sept 1897 Croydon, the son of Joseph Allen Higgins and Amelia Mary Higgins (Holmes). He changed his surname by deed poll 19 Mar 1919 (Seymour-Higgins). He married Edith Dorothea Mary Horn 31 Jul 1924 Westminster (Divorced 1930). He died 25 Sept 1966 London. Military Service: Captain in the Supply and Transport Corps of His Majesty's Indian Army (Retired on account of ill health 1923); Pilot Officer (74559) Resigned his Commission 16 Jan 1940. The Times Obituary Column - 27 Sept 1966 - On Sept 25th 1966 in London, A C P Seymour-Higgins (The O'Higgins XX1) late of Treago Castle and Ross Court, Hereford. Service at Golders Green Crematorium on Friday 30th Sept at 12.45 pm. Flowers and inquiries to Messrs T Vigers, 9 Eccleston St. SW1.     

Capt. A C P Seymour-Higgins (1).jpg

Capt. A C P Seymour-Higgins (2).jpg

Capt. A C P Seymour-Higgins (3).jpg

Capt. A C P Seymour-Higgins (4).jpg