Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Harvey H

My Great Grandfather

Harvey H

Harvey H
On 12/05/2016 at 14:49, clk said:

Hi Harvey,

Looking at a couple of surviving service records for Royal West Kent men with near-ish numbers - G/18013 Durley, and G/18089 Cutting were allocated their respective (re)numbers when they were transferred from other regiments on 7th September 1916.

Hi mate, I know this thread has been dead for a while and I've been offline for a while too, but when looking on the following site  https://www.royalleicestershireregiment.org.uk/search/entities?action=search&attributeset=134&visibility=1&sort_field=title&sort_order=asc&a[soldier_surname][v]=&a[soldier_forenames][v]=&a[soldier_rank][v]=&a[soldier_army_number][v]=&q=G%2F  at service numbers similar to my GGF's once in the RWK so G/180XX, theres a sequence with quite a few men falling between G/18002, a Sgt Barnacle, to my GGF, G/18039, and that website is dedicated to the Leicesters. Alongside this in the RWK War Diary for the 10th Battalion on the 7th September, as you said, there is a draft listed as 50 Men from Leicester Territorial Regt. 

Due to these 2 reasons, would it be fair to assume that instead of my GGF being wounded and then transferred, he was instead part of a general draft to possibly strengthen up a unit? (The 10th RWK) The main reasoning is that this draft is listed solely as Leicesters, and no Leicester battalion went over the top during Gommecourt, due to their Brigade, the 138th, being kept in reserve. 

In saying that, both the 1/4th and 1/5th Leicesters spent a good amount of time in the line doing work, so between the 2 battalions it is easily possible that 50 men could have been wounded, recovered and transferred. My GGF was wounded during the war as a result of a bullet ricocheting off his spade and into his back while digging/working on a trench. (Around this period the 1/4th spent most of their time in the line working on trenches).

Sorry for such a huge comment after such a long time, but got excited at the development once looking back at war diaries and wondered if anyone could help?

Kindest regards and Many thanks,

Harvey

Harvey H

Just in addition to the last post, the 10th RWK were 41st Division, 15th Corps, could explain why they needed a strengthening due to the later operations on the Somme in September? 

Harvey H

Good evening gents,

This would probably be best to post in another thread but to keep it altogether I'm going to post it here instead. My GGF's MIC shows that he was 1/4th Leicesters, as well as 10th and 2nd RWK Regiment, however he won the medal for the Northwest Frontier, and the 2nd Royal West Kents did not serve on the Northwest Frontier. Is there any way to find out what battalion he was transferred into from the 2nd and when? I assume it was after armistice, but no clue other than that. 

Kindest regards

Harvey

kenf48
5 hours ago, Harvey H said:

Good evening gents,

This would probably be best to post in another thread but to keep it altogether I'm going to post it here instead. My GGF's MIC shows that he was 1/4th Leicesters, as well as 10th and 2nd RWK Regiment, however he won the medal for the Northwest Frontier, and the 2nd Royal West Kents did not serve on the Northwest Frontier. Is there any way to find out what battalion he was transferred into from the 2nd and when? I assume it was after armistice, but no clue other than that. 

Kindest regards

Harvey

The 1/4 Royal West Kent Regiment was a Territorial unit that had been sent to India in 1914 and was, as you have found the only unit of the RWK designated for service in the Third Afghan War in 1919.  The Battalion was strengthened by men who were attached from other elements of the RWK who were in India at the time especially from the 2nd Battalion who were rotating through India from Mesopotamia before returning to the U.K.   The units in this campaign were very much pulled together as the Army was in transition following the Armistice on the Western Front.  

I think you will find a number of men from the 2nd Bn were awarded the IGSM. The Territorials will have a six digit number and an entitlement to the BWM only as well as the IGS whereas the 2nd Bn men will have an entitlement to both ‘War Medals’ and like your gfather a G/ for general service prefix to a five digit number.

Ken

Harvey H
4 hours ago, kenf48 said:

The 1/4 Royal West Kent Regiment was a Territorial unit that had been sent to India in 1914 and was, as you have found the only unit of the RWK designated for service in the Third Afghan War in 1919.  The Battalion was strengthened by men who were attached from other elements of the RWK who were in India at the time especially from the 2nd Battalion who were rotating through India from Mesopotamia before returning to the U.K.   The units in this campaign were very much pulled together as the Army was in transition following the Armistice on the Western Front.  

I think you will find a number of men from the 2nd Bn were awarded the IGSM. The Territorials will have a six digit number and an entitlement to the BWM only as well as the IGS whereas the 2nd Bn men will have an entitlement to both ‘War Medals’ and like your gfather a G/ for general service prefix to a five digit number.

Ken

Thank you for the response Ken, you've provided me with a load of info there that I'll include in the write up of my GGF's war. He sadly didn't speak about much of it, but I cannot blame him for that, he only mentioned a handful of snippets about it, one included the mention of the NWF and his unit putting down a tribal rebellion, he passed away 14 years before I was born so all the information I have is from what he said to other people. The only one of his documents that survives is his MIC, I assume his service record was burnt during the blitz. 

Kindest regards and many thanks

Harvey