Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Battalion, Welsh Regiment - war diary

Hollytree

I expect this has been asked before.

I have found the reference to the above regiment's diaries at TNA, which can be downloaded for a cost, but before I do, can some more intelligent person than me, tell if Ancestry have loaded it onto their pages, as I have a sub to them? Can't seem to find it, but to search their pages is a tad confusing.

Ta everso

Anne

Not sure about Ancestry. If you have a simple query I have the PDF diary (about 200+ pages from memory) and could look up a date for you?

Bernard

My friend's grandfather was in the Swansea Pals, she has a lovely typewritten "journal" by him in her possession, and when we went to Cardiff on Sunday to the art exhibition she showed it to one of the staff there, who needless to say was extremely interested. I think she will contact the Royal Welsh Museum and give them a copy for posterity.

It's the Mametz wood narrative she is interested in, he was promoted to CSM in the field, and then decided that the heady promotion wasn't for him, so reverted to Sgt after. He survived the war, but gassed somewhere along the line, his narrative doesn't date anything....

Thanks

Anne

What was his name? He might be mentioned in my book? Pity I didn't see his recollections when I was working on the book! He's not Stanley Williams, is he?

Bernard

Oh, name rings a bell but not in the book at a quick glance.

Sorry, but I don't travel as far as Monmouthshire. I give local talks in return for a donation to a local charity. Re Monmouth its more the travelling time than the expense.

Bernard

Hi Anne,

On Ancestry, the diary starts here

Regards

Chris

I knew someone would know what I didn't know!!! Thanks for that you are great

Anne

Oh, name rings a bell but not in the book at a quick glance.

Sorry, but I don't travel as far as Monmouthshire. I give local talks in return for a donation to a local charity. Re Monmouth its more the travelling time than the expense.

Bernard

Oh shame, I live near Chepstow.....never mind. Good luck with your books and thanks

Anne