Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gommecourt Remembered

pagius

GOMMECOURT

27575651345_b5c8aaca96_z.jpg

"... assist in the operations of the Fourth Army by diverting against itself the fire of artillery and infantry which might otherwise be directed against the left flank of the main attack near Serre".

Added: Ian the image is from the book "The Western Front Then and Now") pub 1930`s, and the description reads "In the background is Gommecourt Wood", there is no date.

Seadog,

When was that photograph taken? I had the impression of the landscape on 01/07/16 as being relatively undisturbed as the accounts speak of long grass!

Peter,

I just wish I could get a message through to Dan Snow, I have no personal grievance against him as I enjoy his and his Father's Documentaries, its just that he has the ideal opportunity to right a grievous wrong.

Here is my interpretation of the the trench overlay of the Gommecourt attack at the time of the attack it is just a little north and around the corner on Gommecourt Wood that Peter's map.

Trench%20Overlay.jpg

Ian

12th June 1916

Capt Arthur Agius writes to his fiancee to see he has seen the Bow Bells pierrots in Souastre .....

The-Bow-Belles.jpg

Edited by pagius

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From the Daily Mail Continental edition 5th July .   Sent home by Capt Arthur Agius writing on 6th July 1916.

http://agiusww1.com/

Daily Mail 1.jpg

Daily Mail 1a.jpg

Daily Mail 2.jpg

Edited by pagius

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 21:41, Gommecourt Lions said:

Peter,

I just wish I could get a message through to Dan Snow,

Tweet to him @thehistoryguy.