Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Walter Dungate, 1st Grenadier Guards, died 24/8/18

Mark Hone

A pupil has brought in material relating to his great-great grandfather Corporal Walter John Dungate, 1st Grenadiers, from Pimlico in London. He died on 24th August 1918 and is buried at Bac-Du-Sud British Cemetery near Arras, which I cannot recall ever visiting. I intend to obtain the War Diary of the battalion but if any Pal has details of the activities of 1st Grenadiers around this date I would be very grateful. Needless to say, I intend to include the grave and possibly the site of Corporal Dungate's death in the itinerary of a future school tour. Walter's older brother Harold, of 1st KOYLI, was killed during the 2nd Battle of Ypres and is commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Did you encourage the pupil to get his parents to consider paying for a copy of his Service Record? I suppose that should be "let him know what's available, tell him the cost and give him the details of how to get a copy to pass to his parents" if that's not the "material relating" you refer to.

Hi Mark,

The 3 volumes of the book(s) are also available as free* downloads in various formats.

Regards

Chris

Edit:

*They are free digitalised copies of the originals, rather than copies of the 2003 N&M Press reprints that appear to be chargeable.

Hopefully the link opens up on volume one - scroll down the page for volumes two, and three.