Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2560/240662 PTE David Smart, 1/5th Black Watch

Blackblue

I see this lad is from Arbroath and was apparently 21 in 1917 when discharged. I am trying to determine an address and parents if anyone is able to assist?

Rgds

Tim D

You'll find a lot of good info in the Arbroath Herald if you can access the British Newspaper archive.

I'd also suggest the 1911 census, which can be found via the ScotlandsPeople site.

You might find this site useful, it has the burial registers for Angus:

www.deceasedonline.com/

Incidentally, if you had not already realised, quite a lot of the town of Arbroath is actually in the parish of St Vigeans.

Tim

A possibility is David Lowson Smart born on 1 September 1895 to Peter and Ann (nee Lowson) at West Balmirmer, Arbirlot near Arbroath. The family were staying at Ashbrook, St. Vigeans, Arbroath during the 1911 Census and were still staying there during 1915 and 1920.

Regards

Douglas

Thanks guys,

There were a few David Smart's of around that age in 1911, so was hoping to find some additional evidence as to which he was.

I have a David Smart, my Great Grandfather's cousin, born circa 1894 in Inverkeilor son of Alexander and Helen. In 1901 they are at 13 St.Vigeans Road, but can't confirm him in 1911 Census. They do not appear to be at the same address in 1911.

Rgds

Tim

In the Arbroath Herald for the 30th of March 1917, David Smart, aged 28, a joiner at Seaton, was granted a temporary excemption from military service til the 14th of May.

In the 27th October 1916 edition a David Smart of the Black Watch was reported wounded and in hospital. He had a brother "A" in the Canadians. Their father William resided at Kinaldie.

Thanks Derek,

The Seaton David Smart is another cousin. His elder brother James was KIA. Mentioned here:

I suspect this David may have been a TF artilleryman, named as Second Line Forfarshire RFA and living at 41 West Newgate, but was subsequently exempted. He appears in the earlier lists in the local papers, but then disappears - coinciding this the exemption.

I don't think the second entry with father William is a relative. The only David I have who had a father named William was the aforementioned.....and he had no brother named A.

Rgds

Tim D