Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexander Noble RNR.

mysie

Hi my husband took a photograph of what he thought was a WW1 Family headstone. The headstone read as follows .Alexander Noble RNR died in Portland Hospital 1st Jan 1919 aged 26 years. The headstone is in St Philips Episcopal Churchyard Catterline,near Stonehaven.When my husband went on to CWGC site he cant find this man. There are Alexander Nobles but none that fit this man, can anyone help us, thanks in advance.

Mary.

Quite possibly if he is on a family headstone CWGC are not responsible for it.

It sounds like the family brought him to Stonehaven for a private burial. Is it possible to check if he is actually buried there? Some families had other members added to headstones although they may been buried elsewhere. More of a 'in memorium of..'

Gee that was quick so he is on the CWGC site then. But he is buried in Allenvale in Aberdeen and not in the Churchyard at Catterline. Thanks so very much IPT.

Mary.

First name(s) Alexander

Last name Noble

Birth year 1892

Birth day 1

Birth month Jan

Birth town Catterline

Birth county Kincardine

Death year 1919

Death date 01/01/1919

Service number 1476.T.S. (Po)

Rating Trimmer

Service R.N.R.

Ship/unit Hm Trawler William Bond

Cause of death Died from disease.

Cemetery Allenvale Cemetery Aberdeen.

Location of grave North/W/76.

Relatives notified Wife:- C. 58 Menzie Road, Torry, Aberdeen.

Sounds like it could be an 'in memorium of' as opposed to an actual burial. Seems his wife was in Aberdeen but his closest family were still in Catterline

Thanks so very much, i think as you say his wife has buried him in Allenvale which today is only 10 minutes from Menzies Road where they appear to have lived ,his mum must have as you say put him on Fathers headstone in Catterline as a memorium . Thanks to you both. Need to visit Allenvale next time we are up in Aberdeen to see if we can find him.

Mary.

Did it say where he died? If it Portland in Dorset his wife would have had to pay for the body to taken to Aberdeen.

Take a look at the photo and see if words like 'in loving memory' or similar are on the headstone.

His father, also Alexander was lost overboard from a drifter which was fishing out of Peterhead in 1907.

Roger M

Thanks so very much, i think as you say his wife has buried him in Allenvale which today is only 10 minutes from Menzies Road where they appear to have lived ,his mum must have as you say put him on Fathers headstone in Catterline as a memorium . Thanks to you both. Need to visit Allenvale next time we are up in Aberdeen to see if we can find him.

Mary.

In those days Menzies Road was a common address for trawling fishing families.

Roger M

Yes Roger my husband was born one street up on Walker road across from where the Prison used to be,we both know Menzies Road well.The funny thing was we were looking for Catterline Burial Ground which contains 1 ww1 Grave and ended up finding this man ,the stone does not say he is buried there, but does not say that he is not there either so my husband took the photo just incase. But trying to find him in the Massive Allenvale Cemetery will be a lot harder than finding him Yesterday.lol

Mary.

Hi Johnboy ,we never knew his wife would have had to pay to take his body from Portland Hospital back to Aberdeen, if we have read his Grave details correct it looks like a Private Headstone in Allenvale Cemetery as well ,so it must have cost her a large amount of money as every Headstone in that cemetery is made of Granite.Turns out to be a CWGC Headstone next to the Boundary wall of the old Aberdeen to Ballater railway line.

Mary.

We noticed on the Cwgc page address is Given as 30 Menzies Road but on ICT post down as 58 Menzies Road, not a lot of difference as the houses are 4 floors high . Could be possibe Catherines parents may have stayed in one of the houses, as my husband knows two families of Brodies who were still living in Menzies road in the 1970s

Mary.

• 5 years later...

This is my first post for a number of years but having re discovered my log-in details I thought I I would  browse around again. By chance I came upon this discussion concerning Alexander Noble. I saw his memorial a week or so ago. Using the what3words app it can be found at   gone.plays.spin I hope the attached photo is clear enough.

Kevin

IMG_2991.JPG