Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Slang?

10th Batt RWS

I've got a large collection of letters written by a Private in the 2nd Border regiment to home during 1917 and in them he refers to lice as Higgies or Tiggies (still having trouble deciphering his T's, P's & H's) Has anybody ever heard of this word as a reference to them before? Many thanks in anticipation.

Excellent forum, glad I stumbled across it.

Welcome to the forum. I haven't come across Higgies or Tiggies before, but I did a Google and the first suggested link for "Tiggies" proved to be somewhat unfortunate. I also Googled "slang for lice" and came across

this page

"The original cooties were very real and extremely nasty, since the word was first applied to body lice. It’s a slang term intimately (and I mean that sincerely) associated with the military in World War One. It’s first recorded in print in 1917, but is presumably older."

Which is a bit peripheral to your question, but no doubt GWF members with personal knowledge of the subject will be able to pass on their awareness.

Moonraker

Not in the Oxford English Dictionary as Higgy or Tiggy (or the same with -ie ending)!

Was the said Private native Scots? In which case I'll try a Scots dialect dictionary.

sJ

Hello, thank you both for your replies, much appreciated. I couldn't find the term anywhere either other than in his letters. The context is correct as he suggests Harrison's Pomade had helped in a small way, although I think the new vest probably helped moreso.

Itchy / hedgehog? Might fit? Anyway, apart from the first letter, it is definitely '_iggies'

My chap was from Battersea, not sure it is a local nuance?

Welcome to the forum. I haven't come across Higgies or Tiggies before, but I did a Google and the first suggested link for "Tiggies" proved to be somewhat unfortunate.

Moonraker

So of course I Googled.

:blush:

So of course I Googled.

:blush:

As did I....

Don't follow the above examples!

Was it a "regional" name for the little blighters? I have checked my WW1 slang dictionary and the name does not appear.

It's not in the Dictionary of the Scottish Language online dsl.ac.uk.

I'll check Joseph Wright's Dialect Dictionary of the English Language when I have a bigger screen to read archive.org.

I can remember when a lad being told to watch out for "chiggers" when playing in the fields, it's another name for the harvest mite which gives a little nip that comes up as a rash. It might just be a colloquial name for the same thing.

John

Higgies/tiggies not in the Routledge Dictionary of Historical Slang either.

Any chance you could post an image of the word as written?

sJ

Just googled it myself, not the best idea! ha

Ok, I will post an image of it as it is written by the man himself.

Thanks for the interest on the topic

Chiggers is the closets so far, thanks John

Worth remembering that some words were family inventions and perhaps only known to a handful of people.

So far the only thing I've found that might be relevant is in Joseph Wright's English Dialect Dictionary (1898) - tiggy-hog for a wood-louse, from Northamptonshire.

https://archive.org/stream/englishdialectdi06wrig#page/n151/mode/2up

I've only been looking at head-words rather than searching the text, so if I start from the suspected definition I may track back to a possible headword for that. But I'll do that later!

sJ

Great, thanks seaJane, I thought there must be some relevance to the creature itself in the term but of course, it could also be a family name for them. I can't seem to find how to upload an image of the written word, can someone enlighten me? Thanks, as always AC

Hi AC,

Have you got an image less than 250 KB in size for a start? Then click "More Reply Options" at the lower right corner of this box.

On the lower left you will see a Browse button; click that and select your image; then click "Attach This File" below it; then click "Add To Post".

Then "Add Reply" and, we hope, bingo.

sJ

PS: if your word is by any chance in fact "biddy / biddies", that too is a word meaning a louse or flea.

To give the above image some context, these are the words around the word in question;

I went to a church service yesterday morning. The church is like a dug out and holds about 20. It is a pleasant little place. And also had a bath yesterday which is very necessary as the Higgies are abundant.

Looking at some of the other letters I'm inclined to think "tiggies" - an upward stroke to the top of the t, the t cross-stroke beginning low and rising to the next letter, and the dot for the i off to the right... but my post #13 is still as near as I've got to a matching spelling.

Edit: Could the church description be "peculiar" rather than "pleasant"? I see another i-dot ...

I'm still checking a lot of the words and some of these were dictated via a voice recognition package so I need to go over them. Peculiar does look correct - Long way to go yet. Like I said, I'm still having trouble with the T', P's and H's.

Thanks SJ

Do you know where the writer came from?