Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commonwealth war graves in Hainaut (Belgium)

Radar

Hello since 2006 I'm trying to take a picture of every military monument in my own province of Belgium the Hainaut (Western part of Belgium), between these monuments I've included the commonwealth war graves (and other war cemeteries). Having seen all cemeteries I wanted to create a website gathering all pictures I took but being a bit lazy I finally decided to create a facebook page instead.On this page you may found every cemetery (about 122 war, communal or churchyard cemeteries) and except for the biggest one a picture of every tomb and epitaph. Some villages weren't part of the province until the 60's but they also have cemeteries (more concerned about Ypres's battle) that I've included on the page.

There are five "waves" of tombs, tombs from August-September 1914 (around Mons and heading south to France), tombs from the liberation in 1918 (from west to east, from the French border to Mons), tombs of soldiers that stood in the country after the war and died from accidents and Spanish flu in 1919, tombs for the 1940 battle (mainly in the Tournai/Ath region) and finally tombs from the other liberation in 1944 (west to east from the French border to Brussels). You also have 'in between' tombs meaning that these soldiers died at other dates (mainly POW for WW1 and aviators for WW2).

Here is the link to the page, unfortunately the albums were first by alphabetical order but now it's a bit a mess, sorry for that. : https://www.facebook.com/CWGCHainaut01/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

The pictures are free to share and download, if you want a better quality picture of some graves don't hesitate to ask me, I will do another picture with pleasure.

Great facebook page. I might even do it with the cemeteries/memorials I have photographed in the area. Might be more accessible than my website.

Steve

Thanks Radar - a great help.

Well done Radar, must have been a labour of love in creating such a dedicated reference project.

Much appreciated.

John

Wonderful FB page. You've got my "Like"

Jef