Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Troopship SS Islanda

Cavalryman24

Hi,

I am researching the movement of the17th Lancers from India to the Western Front in 1914. They left Karachi on the 16th October 1914 and landed at Marseille on the 7th November 1914. The Lancers used two troopships SS Leicestershire and SS Islanda. I have a picture of SS Leicestershire and I would like one of SS Islanda. I have searched hi and low for one but to no avail, I hope some one can assist. Steve

ISLANDA was part of the British India Steam Navigation Company fleet, built in 1900 and sunk in a gale off Malta in 1917. Her normal trade runs were mostly from India to Europe. You might get a pic from reference books in your local (large) Reference Library as there are often books on the Company Fleets through the ages. I often find vessel pics this way.

If you can't get one let me know and I will stick it in my notebook for when I next visit the Maritime Special Collections in Southampton Civic Centre Library.

You can click on my name tag to the left here and send me a personal message.

Another possibility may be the library at Lloyd's Register www.lr.org

There are five books on the BISN Company in the Southampton Library. Vessel photos are not numerous and there is not one for the ISLANDA.

There is reference to some 61 BI ships which were used for trooping duties from India to the various war theatres during the first 10 weeks of the war. ISLANDA was one of 7 vessels which left Karachi on 16 October 1914. At the same time 24 left Bombay with largely native Indian troops. Dispersal of this host was to the Persian Gulf, East Africa,Mauritius,Suez,Marseilles and the UK.

Sorry I couldn't find a pic ! As an alternative there is often a sister ship from the same builder's yard (Dixons of Middlesborough) which would at least give you an idea of layout but in the time available I was unable to trace names to builders through either the BI reference books or the Lloyd's Register.

Later:

You could Google SURADA another B&I Tyne-built in 1902 with similar tonnage which might indicate same plan ISLANDA was 5237 tons and SURADA 5236 tons.

There is a pic here on a wreck site for this ship:

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?99611

Another which was also built by Dixons in 1900 was ISMAILA (5265 tons) which may also have a pic somewhere on the web.