The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Advice about medal

sug

Hi all,

I would appreciate some advice on my grandfathers meday that I am in the process of purchasing.

Is it 1914 Star, the 1914/1915 Star, the Mons Star or is there any significant difference.

I have no doubt that my question displays a certain ignorance on this subject.

Thanks

.post-128242-0-96899100-1462479498_thumb.post-128242-0-03295300-1462479514_thumb.

We all have to start to learn somewhere not everybody knows everything. Good to ask. :thumbsup:

Just had a thought. Does anyone have an idea where I should start looking for his British war Medal and Victory Medal ?

Ask relatives, then the british medal forum

But check the medal index card to make sure they got issued

Hi Sug and well done on finding your grandfather's Star. There are many single medals sold on Ebay so set up an automatic search in the medals section for the surname. There are also many medal dealers who have web sites, so search these on a weekly basis. Good luck John

A quick look on Ancestry reveals he was awarded the BWM and Victory medals. Hopefully somebody can interpret the annotations on the rolls.

Thanks for all the advice. I will follow up on these suggestions.

I see what you mean Ron da Valli, hopefully someone on here will be able to make out what it means.

Thanks.

HI

The red writing beside the medals mean they were sent back to MOD and eventually destroyed, as were my Grandfathers'. It basically says the British War and Victory medals were returned under a Kings Regulation with a certified receipt voucher. The regulation states that after 10 years they were destroyed. There is no Issue Voucher to say they were claimed and sent back out.

You can apply to MOD to get them - see this thread -

Apply here - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-ministry-of-defence-medal-office

regards

Robert

Lucky you

That's what I call an easy reunite

Good luck

Justin H

HI

The red writing beside the medals mean they were sent back to MOD and eventually destroyed, as were my Grandfathers'. It basically says the British War and Victory medals were returned under a Kings Regulation with a certified receipt voucher. The regulation states that after 10 years they were destroyed. There is no Issue Voucher to say they were claimed and sent back out.

You can apply to MOD to get them - see this thread - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=237095&hl=%2Breturned+%2Bmedals

Apply here - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-ministry-of-defence-medal-office

regards

Robert

I hope your correct but it clearly states in the MOD application form that they do not issue WW1 medals. I will submit a form anyway and see what happens.

Thanks.

It is my understanding that the MOD no longer issues replacements, however, IIRC they are allowing for the issuance of those never received. I do know of a few cases at the British Medals Forum where people have been successful.

Good luck to you.

Below 2014 topic has several examples of GWF members making successful applications for "returned" medals.

Steve Y

Don't ask don't get!

Hi

I did and that is why I am telling you!

regards

Robert

Just filled out the form and will post tomorrow. Thanks to all.

Is there a medal rolls for the silver war badge or the 1914 clasp?

I applied for my relations ww1 medals and received them, it's a long wait but worth it

Is there a medal rolls for the silver war badge or the 1914 clasp?

The clasp is normally noted on the medal index card, but not in this case. Given his date of entry of 28.8.14 it's hard to imagine that he didn't qualify for one though.

There is no record of him having been awarded a silver war badge.

BillyH.

Thanks for that BillyH, I've requested the clasp and Silver War Badge anyway, I'll let you all know how I get on.

Can anyone dechipre the comments on my grandfathers roll for the South Africa Medal and Clasps. I know I am pushing my luck here.

Thanks.

Hi

I did and that is why I am telling you!

regards

Robert

I was referring to Sug in post 14 not your good self

I applied for my relations ww1 medals and received them, it's a long wait but worth it

How long did you have to wait?

I was never very patient.

About 4 months. They need to check to make sure they were entitled and they are minted when order is placed

Apply using the ww2 form, ignore the bit about ww1 medals not being issued. State what medals and include a copy of medal roll and medal index card which shows medals returned or not issued.

You need to be official next of kin so far a surviving relation is older they are next of kin.

Hope this helps

James