Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LSGC value?

snailybailey

Hi, can any member give me an idea of what I would expect to pay for an LSGC medal? Not any particular Regiment or casualty date etc….just standard.

Cheers

Glyn

Try great war medals for prices http://www.greatwarmedals.com/shop.php - no connection with the company but Steve is a top bloke

I have got a few in the last year to regular Army - all Coldstream Gds GV - condition varies from polished to EF £60 - £90 - but rank and unit is everything

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, can any member give me an idea of what I would expect to pay for an LSGC medal? Not any particular Regiment or casualty date etc….just standard.

Cheers

Glyn

Be careful to get the right one to suit your requirements. There are 3 variations for George V.

1/ Field Marshall's bust with swivel suspender (1911 - 20)

2/ Field Marshall's bust with fixed suspender (1920 - 30)

3/ Crowned bust (1930-37)

Somebody might want to check those dates - I'm working from memory !!

Also the ribbon changed from plain crimson to crimson with narrow white edges (in 1916 I think)

Regards,

Mike

and also quite common to see Edwards VII LSGC medals and sometimes even Victoria with ww1 medals

1914/15 TRIO & UNIQUE MEMORIAL PLAQUE to the 'LONDON RIFLE BRIGADE'

2152 PTE L.G.BURDEN 5-LOND.R (on trio)
LEONARD GUY BURDEN (on plaque)

Lived at 13 Blenheim Park Road, Croydon; Educated at Dudley House School, Lee & then at Pitman’s School before joining the London City & Midland Bank, Aldersgate Branch.
Joined the LRB in March 1915; To France 15/10/15; KIA F&F 1/7/16, aged just 18, during the 5th LONDON REGT attack at Gommecourt on the First Day of the Battle of the Somme. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial in France & also on the Croydon Cenotaph. With a small photocopy of his Newspaper Obituary & Portrait, plus a colour photo of his name on Thiepval Memorial & other research.

Condition: EF

Code: 51359Price: 1495.00 GBP

Thanks for the link, Coldstreamer. I notice the above which seems to be a typical 1/7/16 casualty group, albeit to a good battalion at a significant place. Is that a fair price? And what would a 14/15 trio, Pte 1st Lancs Fus KIA 25/4/15 at Lancashire Landing be valued at?

Not my area of expertise 1.7.16 - the Coldstream didnt join the Somme on mass until 15.9.16

The other date means nothing to me sorry - Gallipoli is it ?

Medals Year Book gives valuations for each medal.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

The year book is very helpful as a guide but many other factors can greatly impact price - such as campaign medal entitlement for service pre- and post- WW1, the award of other medals such as the Meritorious Service Medal (MSM) which often accompanies the LSGC, etc.

and take with a pinch of salt - some of the valuation Id rip someones arm off to get a medal at the price they quote

• 2 weeks later...

It is an opinion based book.

As Coldstreamer makes the point............some prices are very low. For some medals.......the price of a box or silver ribbon buckle can represent the total price quoted.

​Note that I am not complaining. Coldstreamer and myself will be snatching peoples arms off.....

To be fair, you would probably need a dedicated book the size of the entire yearbook to give detailed and accurate variations on valuations for Great War medals. At the end of the day it all comes down to how much an individual is prepared to pay and how much of "must have" the item in question is to its prospective purchasers.

Of course, the complexity of the subject is what helps to keep it all so enthralling!

Warmest regards,

Mike

Cheers

Glyn

Glyn,

Here is mine.

Regards,

LF

MM Grouping 7.jpg

post-63666-0-02017300-1465874688_thumb.j

photo bucketphoto P6140985_zpsoanan8hm.jpgA few of mine

lsgc photo P6140984_zpsw0aznpfa.jpgand a couple of more  

regards

Bob R.