Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA 102A

My Great grandfather Bertie E Abbotson served in WWI in the Royal Field Artillery, Regimental Number: 210078

How do I determine what Brigade, Division, Regiment or whatever.... sorry no military knowledge :)

I would like to research his experience during the war.

I have a medal roll which shows RFA/102A. I think 102A was attached to the 23rd Division from some limited Google search, but not sure if I am going down the right track

Any help greatly appreciated, I am very new to military research

post-128234-0-11134200-1462372255_thumb.

Hi,

I think you will find that RFA/102 is a reference to the actual medal roll entry rather than a reference to the Brigade or Battery he may have served with.

Below link to Long Long Trail site shows how to

interpret a MIC.

http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/interpretmic.html

Regards

Steve Y

Welcome to the Forum,

As Steve Y says, that is a Medal Roll reference only and nothing to do with a battery or brigade. You have little chance of obtaining this information without using other sources.

The absent voters list for the area he lived would be a good start (if they have survived). I can tell you that he was called up (or possibly transferred) to the RFA at Woolwich around March 15, 1917 as that is where and when the number was issued. After a course of training he would have been sent as a reinforcement in a draft, probably in June 1917 or afterwards. As most batteries taking part in the war had already been formed, he would have just been posted to one with a shortfall at the time. The process was quite random by that stage of the war.

It looks as if he was only awarded the British Medal. I think this indicates that he served overseas but not in a theatre of war.

Peter

As he only received the BWM the odds are that he served with one of the RFA brigades in India. but there are other possibilities: Bermuda, Malta, Jamaica, Gibraltar, etc.

• 2 years later...

Hi, not sure how far you have got with your research? but i am just starting to delve into my grandfathers history and found the basic info that he was in the R.F.A. as  Gunner Arthur Hunt. Regtl no. 213017. He  was an Army reserve from 24/02/16--12/03/17 and then was sent to 90 Battalion 22/07/17--13/04/19 in India. He spent time in Nowshera hospital and returned to England to live a good life farming.  I would appreciate any info you might have gathered as they possably had similiar postings. Martin Hunt

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Martin. British TJK only made one post and hasn't visited the forum since 2017. Once you have made two posts you can try sending a private message to them. If they are still using the email address that they used when they registered, they should receive it.

Michelle 

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/05/2016 at 17:12, rflory said:

there are other possibilities: Bermuda, Malta, Jamaica, Gibraltar, etc.

There were RGA garrisons at these places but no RFA units.

Ron