Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika/Transcaspia/Army of Black Sea query

MaureenE

The following link about medals awarded to a soldier in the Indian Army, in the 28th Light Cavalry who took part jn actions as part of the Malleson Mission in Transcaspia, indicates these medals were awarded as an award for Salonika “The grant of these decorations was duly received and appeared in [salonika] Force Orders”

DNW Auction: 19th September 2003, Lot 1271

I have not seen any other mention of this linkage of Salonika and Transcapsia/Transcaucasia. Can anyone confirm this, and if so, was it specifically an Indian Army linkage, or British Army as well.

How is the Army of the Black Sea and the Occupation of Constantinople best classified? Is it regarded as a continuation of the actions in Transcaspia/Transcaucasia? Or perhaps it is associated more with Mesopotamia, or other fronts in the Middle East?

I need to write some (brief) information, and would like to be accurate in what I say.

The history The Occupation of Constantinople 1918–1923 by Brigadier-General J. E. Edmonds was originally written in 1944, but it was not finally published until 2010, by Naval and Military Press, which classifies it as an Official History.

http://www.naval-military-press.com/occupation-of-constantinople.html

However, it does not generally appear to be regarded as an Official History. Can anyone comment on this?

Cheers

Maureen

Maureen,

In November 1918 the 28th Division moved to the dardanelles to occupy the coastal defences as part of the Army of occupation of Turkey. In December General Milne moved his HQ to Constantinople. The British Salonika Force was redesignated the Army of the Black sea and on the 22nd December the 27th Division began moving to South Russia in support of the White Russian forces against the Bolsheviks, the move to Batum (Georgia) was complete by the 9th of January 1919.

This confirms the link to Transcaucasia but alas not Transcapsia.

Further details can be found in 'Under the Devil's Eye' pages 228 to 230.

Maureene

Greetings

I have written on the Indian Army involvement in Transcaspia which first started with resupply coming through Persia, but then through the Caucasus from the Army of the Black Sea, until General Milne closed the Transcaspian theatre down.

This article is in a book being published in Delhi presently, but if you PM me an email address I will send a copy.

Harry

Thanks Harry

You must give us full details of the book when it is published.

l will PM you later, probably tomorrow (going out now)

Cheers

Maureen

Medals to Indian Army soldiers that are classified as 'Salonika Medals' were mostly awarded for actions by the British Army of the Black Sea after the war ended.

The actions were against Turkish nationalists, emerging Communist forces or bandits and brigands in Anatolia, the Caucasus and Transcaspia.

A typical example of the ferocity of these actions can be seen in an article of mine here: http://www.kaiserscross.com/304501/385643.html

Harry