Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorkshire Regiment group photo - Pte Frederick, or Joseph, Martin

Andy Wade

Hello Everyone,

I've been sent an image of some West Yorkshire Regiment lads and I'm told by a relative that the chap on the left side of the photograph on the front row is either Frederick or Joseph Martin of Haworth in West Yorkshire, but as I've found no service records for either man, I've no idea where it could have been taken.

I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone could shed any light on it. It's the usual group photograph of lads, probably in early training. From looking at the photograph I can see four caps which have the West Yorkshire Regiment badge, and most of the men look to have the 'W.YORKS' shoulder titles as well. The sergeant in the middle front row has a marksman's badge on his lower left sleeve and one overseas chevron on his lower right sleeve. Some great haircuts too. I particularly like the lad photo-bombing them from the doorway behind. Seems to be a standard type of wooden Great War Army Hut but I don't know if that gives us anything to go on.

If anyone else can spot something of note or come up with something more enlightening I would very much appreciate it. If anyone recognises a man in the photograph then that would be marvellous.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Andy.

post-9980-0-79352200-1462306733_thumb.jp

Hello Everyone,

I've been sent an image of some West Yorkshire Regiment lads and I'm told by a relative that the chap on the left side of the photograph on the front row is either Frederick or Joseph Martin of Haworth in West Yorkshire, but as I've found no service records for either man, I've no idea where it could have been taken.

I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone could shed any light on it. It's the usual group photograph of lads, probably in early training. From looking at the photograph I can see four caps which have the West Yorkshire Regiment badge, and most of the men look to have the 'W.YORKS' shoulder titles as well. The sergeant in the middle front row has a marksman's badge on his lower left sleeve and one overseas chevron on his lower right sleeve. Some great haircuts too. I particularly like the lad photo-bombing them from the doorway behind. Seems to be a standard type of wooden Great War Army Hut but I don't know if that gives us anything to go on.

If anyone else can spot something of note or come up with something more enlightening I would very much appreciate it. If anyone recognises a man in the photograph then that would be marvellous.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Andy.

attachicon.gifWest Yorks group small.jpg

Any idea which battalion?

I can`t remember where I got this picture from, but it`s the Prince of Wales` Own, West Yorks. Unfortunately I don`t know which battalion.

G999-Prince-of-Waless-Own-West-Yorkshire

EDIT: I`ve just discovered that these are "Bradford Pals". (16th and 18th btn. West Yorks.)

Edited by neverforget

Any idea which battalion?

Sadly, no. I can't pin Frederick (or Joseph) Martin down to any one battalion. There's a rumour he had served in the MGC and I have another portrait photograph of him wearing a DLI shoulder title, so it's a bit confused at the moment. Which is why I thought I'd see if the combined expertise of the GWF could come up with anything. Until I got this group photograph I had no idea he was connected to the West Yorks either.

• 4 years later...

Sorry I'm a few years late to this thread....do you have any further info on the two photos....I have just started looking into a relative who would have been my fathers uncle . He served with  18th btn 2nd Bradford Pals... I have found out through a historian on twitter(think hes also a Yorkshire lad) who has sent me a picture of the war diary for the day he was killed on  15th August 1916  East of Festubert in positions around the Pioneer Comms Trench. I am wonder if anyone has any further info about the area/btn at this time..in fact anything really. 

Many thanks

Dickyboy

Who was he? Plus, as many other background details as you have the better. 

Simon

• Admin

Please keep replies to this thread Linked below to avoid confusion and repetition of answers