Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A WAR IN WORDS

Soren

Hello All,

THE FIRST WORLD WAR IN DIARIES AND LETTERS

I've just bought this book from ASDA (Bournemouth) only £3.70, RRP £7.99!!!!

I thought that if you have a local store you might want to buy it.......

Here's the review I wrote on it for the Society of Friends of the National Army Museum (SOFNAM) newsletter in March.... (I'm the Reviews Editor...)

“War in Words” by Svetlana Palmer & Sarah Wallis (Simon & Schuster, London, 2003) 381pp, Illus, Maps. £14.99 ISBN 0-7432-4831-7

This volume was produced by two of the researchers for the C4 series referred to above. Such was the wealth of primary source material; they proposed a volume of diaries and accounts to complement the series. Books such as this have become rather commonplace of late, mirroring the great increase in the general history of the Great War. This rises above the paths well-trodden elsewhere by including personal accounts of areas such as the war on the Eastern Front, sources on which are rare in the literature in English. German accounts are also included. The non-linear structure, driven by the context of the contributions, jars in places but on the whole, this is a skilfully assembled and edited volume.

A good read, this book should really be required reading for any student of the Great War. There can be no better research material than first hand accounts.

i really enjoyed this. It is refreshing to read accounts by civilians, particularly children, which are often overlooked in writing about the First World War. The overall result is that the whole scope of the war is covered, not just one day in July, or one area of Europe. It would be a good gift for a relative who was not a 'military enthusiast'. It also shows that the archival coverage is pan-European. I would love to get my hands on some of this stuff buried in Eastern Europe and Germany.....

Simon Moody

See my input 23rd November Finished reading the book and throughly enjoyed it. The post script's tie up some of the loose ends. A sure read for any one interested in the Great War. Buy It

Paul

After your description of the book, which made me want to read it there and then I went to ASDA in Blackpool and couldnt find it!!! Aaaagh!!! May have to take you up on your offer to borrow in the new year. Glad you found this forum, I think its wonderful and have made so many friends and contacts through this site, every one is so helpful. I am going to go to ASDA again and do another 'wrecky' so to speak as i really dont want to miss out on this bargain

Lindsey

• 2 weeks later...

Got it for my xx Birthday and throughly enjoyed it. Its an interesting read. It was worth being another year older just to get it! ;)

Fred

Got it for my xx Birthday and throughly enjoyed it. Its an interesting read. It was worth being another year older just to get it! ;)

Fred

• 3 months later...

I've just started reading this book when I take my dog over the park, it's fantastic, nearest thing to actually living through it, it's brought to my attention other fronts and battles I'd not normally have any interest in.

If you haven’t got it go get it!!

Soren :D

I got it from ASDA when Soren posted the first time about it - it was in their sale basket - maybe finished now? You could always phone round a few stores...It is very good - worth the price.

Marina

• 1 month later...

I'm pages from the end, and all I can say is, if you want a view of the war from the people it directly affected, than you can't go wrong with this.

I will not ruin it for you, but it sadenned me when some of the diary keepers died, very moving and poignant.

Soren