The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lewis Gun

AdamMills97

Hello everyone,

I am looking to research deeper into the Lewis Gun. Such as, the drills, equipment, personal stories and the kind of training those trained as #1s would of experienced prior to them being in the field (e.g. the machine gun school?). So I was wondering if anyone was able to suggest any sources or books for information that could assist me with my research? or any pictures that I could use as a guide to see the differentiation of kit and how well equipped each member of the team would be in knowledge as well as assisting the running and maintaining of the gun itself?

Sorry about a number of questions but anything you have to share would be deeply appreciated!

Kindest Regards,

Adam

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhat belatedly, the best book on the subject is The Belgian Rattlesnake by William M Easterly.

Unfortunately, I believe it is now out of print and second hand copies are fearfully expensive.

It's excellent if you can find a cheap one though.

Cheers,

GT.

• 1 month later...

Adam;

Do you know that the German Army, in the Great War, had several MG units equipped with the Lewis Gun? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

There was a book privately printed in WW2 called 'Lewis Gun made Easy'. Mainly for the home guard. May be a useful. Often available on ebay.

John

I have a super original pamphlet dated Jan 1918 published by The General Staff entitled

"The Tactical Employment Of Lewis Guns".

Belonged to Major Foxton 1/4 DOW.

26 pages plus amendment.

TT

I also have The Complete Lewis Gunner first published in 1918 and reprinted in WW 2. 

I I have a copy of The Belgian Rattlesnake which is the bible.

The pamphlets however cover the tactical usage much better.

TT

• 2 weeks later...

Adam perhaps you have missed my advert - I have a complete WI MG library for sale.   Incl the Belgian Rattlesnake book.  Pse contact me.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...