Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Postcard Translation

Droocoo

Hi all,

I need help with the translation of this feldpost postcard. I know that it was sent from the Argonne by a man in the Magdeburgisches Infantry Regiment No. 67 to the 58th Infantry Division, but nothing else.

As I cannot read German, I would be very very appreciative if someone could lend a hand here!

Thankyou in advance!

Andrew

post-35842-0-32760900-1462188430_thumb.j

Actually that is a fairly clear one by most standards! Legible handwriting in places although I cannot do all of it, but I'll start the ball rolling! So, sent 28 6 16 to an Alfred Huhndorf, 58 Infanterie Division, 58 Sanitats Kompagnie, by a 'Schuetze' Eichmeger(?), of the Infantry Regiment Nr. 67 (Magdeburgisches Nr.4), MGKomp., 16 Armee Korps, 37 Division. I can see other bits but hesitate to go any further...

There is on-line a brief and possibly reasonably accurate account of the unit at:http://genwiki.genealogy.net/IR_67- but Jan and others have slapped my wrists for linking to sites like this, having observed that they are no substitute for the real printed sources...

Trajan

Actually that is a fairly clear one by most standards! Legible handwriting in places although I cannot do all of it, but I'll start the ball rolling! So, sent 28 6 16 to an Alfred Huhndorf, 58 Infanterie Division, 58 Sanitats Kompagnie, by a 'Schuetze' Eichmeger(?), of the Infantry Regiment Nr. 67 (Magdeburgisches Nr.4), MGKomp., 16 Armee Korps, 37 Division. I can see other bits but hesitate to go any further...

There is on-line a brief and possibly reasonably accurate account of the unit at:http://genwiki.genealogy.net/IR_67- but Jan and others have slapped my wrists for linking to sites like this, having observed that they are no substitute for the real printed sources...

Trajan

Trajan,

I have seen the link actually and find it quite informative.

If you wouldn't mind having a stab at the actual text I would be really grateful? Also, are you sure that the A.R is not short for Artillerieregiment?

Kindest Regards,

Andrew

I can get odd words but not enough to get the full sense - except the 'dear alfred' at the start! But somebody will come along with the rest. Where, though, do you see the A.R.

I can get odd words but not enough to get the full sense - except the 'dear alfred' at the start! But somebody will come along with the rest. Where, though, do you see the A.R.

Well that's a start! I can see the A.R in the second line of the Absender section

Any help from anyone else?

Kindest Regards,

Andrew

There's no 'AR' in the second line of the 'Absenderblock'.

It reads 'IR 67/ MGK/ 16. AK/ 31. Div.' = Infantry Regiment 67, Machine Gun Company, 16th Army Corps, 31st Division'.

• 3 weeks later...

Could you try to transcribe the text ? If so, I'm pretty sure someone else or I can give you the translation.

Over to you, Arthur ...

Lieber Alfred!

Aus dem Schützengraben die besten Grüße. Geht mir augenblicklich sehr gut u. hoffe von dir das Gleiche. Auch dem Franzmann scheint es gut gehn. Bn geht (?) noch 5 Tage in Stellung, dann werde ich wieder abgelöst. Von der Tante hab ich gestern einen Apfelkuchen bekommen, über den ich mich sehr gefreut habe. Viele herzliche Grüße sendet dir dein Cousin Paul.

Dear Alfred

From the trench I send the best wishes. At the moment I'm very fine,and I hope the same for you. It's looks like the French are doing fine as well. (the battalion has) another five days in line, then we'll be relieved. I received an apple pie from (our) aunt yesterday, which pleased me/I enjoyed.

Love from your cousin Paul.

• 3 weeks later...
  • spof changed the title to German Postcard Translation