Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lloyds Bank WW1 Memorial in Bristol

Bardess

I've looked for an image of the above to zoom in on a name [J Wood] but haven't found one. Does anyone live close enough to take a pic for me please? TIA

Yes, thanks. I asked him to check the Memorial for me 2 years ago and I still haven't heard back or received a pic

Hi Diane,

Probably not much help, but I can copy his portrait and the picture of the memorial from the Lloyds book if of any use. Unfortunately when enlarged the names on the memorial just turn into dots and hence are virtually unreadable.

If I can help just send me an email address via a PM and I shall do my best.

Robert

Thanks for the offer, Robert, but I already have his pic. The problem is that it differs from one I already have and I was wondering if his name was different on the actual Memorial. Here they are:

post-39423-0-69932600-1462277998_thumb.j

post-39423-0-42170300-1462277851_thumb.j

Hi Diane,

I can see your dilemma. Where does the second picture come from? Do you have any biograhical detail attached to the second photo which can tie him to Lloyds?

Although there are some similarities and they could be of the same man--I somehow doubt it!

Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Robert

Hi Robert and thank you. The 2nd picture came from the Smethwick Telephone, a local newspaper, dated 2nd July 1915. He was a Turner on 1911 Census and on his Attestation Form. John served with KRRC and was KiA on 17th June 1915

Hi Diane,

Must be two different men. The chap in the Lloyds book most probably came from elsewhere outside Smethwick even though he apparently worked in the Lloyds Branch in Smethwick.

It may be worth contacting the Archives at Lloyds to see if they have some details of this former employee--I suspect that they shall. It would just clear the matter for you.

Good luck,

Robert

Thanks Robert. I probably will travel down that route [which is far better than checking the other 495 casualties on CWGC]

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyone who lives in Bristol?

Used to be lots of people there, but unfortunately I don't know anyone who I can point in your direction.

Hopefully someome will pop up soon.

Robert

• 1 month later...

I have received a reply to my email from an Archivist at Lloyds Bank and they gave me his birth date and date of death - which are 31/12/98 and 30/4/19. I haven't located a MIC yet but have found 1901 and 1911 Census returns PLUS his Probate entry :)

I will be sending for his DC

Probate entry.jpg

Di

Looking as a result of your PM ! This number 199144 is the long number of his original file which I have identified to you as WO339/106355 which I shall look at for you in a few days.

How does the J Wood KIA in 1915 with the KRRC fit with this man ?

On 01/07/2016 at 00:39, Seadog said:

Well done Diane, have you a special interest in this chap?

Regards

Norman

Sorry, Norman, I didn't see your post. Yes, now I do :D

He was born in Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield and was living in Smethwick by 1901. He is not on CWGC and I have, therefore, ordered his DC

3 hours ago, sotonmate said:

Di

Looking as a result of your PM ! This number 199144 is the long number of his original file which I have identified to you as WO339/106355 which I shall look at for you in a few days.

How does the J Wood KIA in 1915 with the KRRC fit with this man ?

Aha, long number, thank you! AND thanks for adding him to your list. Brilliant

There is no connection - a name and photo appeared on Facebook from an album of Lloyds Bank employees and he was the only J Wood on my radar

• 2 years later...

Coming to this a little late...did you ever obtain his death certificate?

I've been researching the Lloyds Bank memorial and the only information I had for this man was he was, according to some Lloyds records I have, a Lieutenant in the Royal Air Force. Not being on the CWGC obviously meant I couldn't find much more for him...

• 2 weeks later...