Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is going on in this Photo please ?

Grandpacarr

Could anyone please tell me what is happening in this photo. It is a trench scene but it looks like an area could be on fire.

post-55186-0-93530200-1462148655.jpg

post-55186-0-84352700-1462148944.jpg

Hi,

The images are very small and no detail can be discerned, any chance you could upload a copy of a larger size.

Mark

Hi,

The images are very small and no detail can be discerned, any chance you could upload a copy of a larger size.

Mark

Sorry I did try to get bigger sizes of photo`s to fit on the post. I will try again. This appears to be much better. I look forward to any theories about what is going on.

post-55186-0-27083600-1462185522_thumb.j

post-55186-0-07933100-1462185643_thumb.j

Sorry I did try to get bigger sizes of photo`s to fit on the post. I will try again. This appears to be much better. I look forward to any theories about what is going on.

Thanks for reposting, you did well.

Hi

It's the use of the 'Ayrton Fan' to clear gas .

Mike

An image of the 'Ayrton Fan' can be found here: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RELAWM06267/

A contemporary account of the development: http://cwp.library.ucla.edu/articles/ayrton/ayrtonrem2.html

Some details on Hertha Ayrton: http://www.theiet.org/resources/library/archives/biographies/ayrtonh.cfm

Mark

Hi

It's the use of the 'Ayrton Fan' to clear gas .

Mike

Many thanks for that Mike That is great to at last know what is going on (Or at least I will do when I discover I what the "Ayrton Fan" is).

Thanks for reposting, you did well.

An image of the 'Ayrton Fan' can be found here: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RELAWM06267/

A contemporary account of the development: http://cwp.library.ucla.edu/articles/ayrton/ayrtonrem2.html

Some details on Hertha Ayrton: http://www.theiet.org/resources/library/archives/biographies/ayrtonh.cfm

Mark

Thank you Mark I had posted my last post before seing your reply, I look forward to looking through the links you have kindly provided.

As I am sure you have surmised the complete lack of equipment of any sort clearly indicates a training exercise.

the caption should read "Fan it boy, don't just tickle the bl**dy thing"!

As I am sure you have surmised the complete lack of equipment of any sort clearly indicates a training exercise.

I am sure that you are correct in your assumption regarding it being a training exercise as I have only just noticed on the reverse is a faded photographers ink stamp which states S.J.Allen,Pembroke Dock.

And PO overstamped 3.30 pm 16th or 26th Aug 1917 Pembroke Docks. Plus line of boots on left hand side, nonchalantly watching the fan operator.

TE

And PO overstamped 3.30 pm 16th or 26th Aug 1917 Pembroke Docks. Plus line of boots on left hand side, nonchalantly watching the fan operator.

TE

My eyes are not so good as they used to be I often miss things these days

Had a stab at finding address and/or sender. Seems like 'Derrys Lincs' which I can't find. And no Rick Terrace in Lincs for the period. Had wondered if it was 'Derry's Lines', not a good postal address I know.

Is the surname Purcell? Fanny is then Mrs H Purcell but maybe Frances, not much joy finding the recipient of the postcard.

TEW

Had a stab at finding address and/or sender. Seems like 'Derrys Lincs' which I can't find. And no Rick Terrace in Lincs for the period. Had wondered if it was 'Derry's Lines', not a good postal address I know.

Is the surname Purcell? Fanny is then Mrs H Purcell but maybe Frances, not much joy finding the recipient of the postcard.

TEW

Hi TEW Just did a check on Post Office Addresses site, I think I got a Match, Not sure of Persons name though, it does look like Mrs H or F Purcell. 11 Rock Terrace, Bakewell, Derbyshire.

Ah, yes, I was seeing Rick Terrace, B of Mill, Derrys, Lincs. Off to specsavers!!

TEW

Hi

The 'Women' section of this Forum has a thread about the inventor of the 'Ayrton Fan' with some information that might be of interest. As I mention on that thread, a training film of how to use it is included in the contents of a DVD 'Gas Warfare of the First World War' by Strike Force Entertainment (SNA6712) , it may also be available elsewhere.

Yes, it is obviously a photo of 'training' with the lack of Gas Masks and other military equipment.

Mike

No Purcell or similar in 1911, occupied by Broomhead family.

But there are Henry W G Purcell and Fanny Purcell with deaths registered in Bakewell in 1963 and 1976 respectively.

TEW

And, Henry W G Purcell married Fanny Fearn 1915 in Bakewell.

TEW

All a bit of a guessing game but I failed to find a sibling for Frances (Fanny Fearn). So defaulted to the sender being her husband.

8597 Henry William George Purcell has 1914-15 star, BWM & Victory with 2nd and 5th Shropshire Light Infantry. His medal roll for the later is annotated that he was discharged to a commission 26/6/17. Gazetted as 2nd Lt. SLI 21/8/17.

Wounded list 4/9/16 with SLI

TEW

All a bit of a guessing game but I failed to find a sibling for Frances (Fanny Fearn). So defaulted to the sender being her husband.

8597 Henry William George Purcell has 1914-15 star, BWM & Victory with 2nd and 5th Shropshire Light Infantry. His medal roll for the later is annotated that he was discharged to a commission 26/6/17. Gazetted as 2nd Lt. SLI 21/8/17.

Wounded list 4/9/16 with SLI

TEW

Wow Tew You really have done some homework on this I am very impressed and I really would like to thank you very much. cheers Andy.

Shame there doesn't seem to be an Officer's record for him but there is something on findmypast for him. There is no - Born, died, event or location so I'd say it's a single sheet, probably a casualty list or promotion list.

An Officer's record might have placed him with a training group near Pembroke Docks which would be a clincher.

Odd sort of postcard though, subject, composition not overly professional whereas S.J. Allen's other photos of Pembroke or group shots are professionally done. Perhaps Purcell or another officer took the photo and had Allen turn it into a postcard.

Still not sure what he's thanking her for or sending to him. Not going to guess after my poor stab at the address!

TEW

Absent Voters exist online now for Derbyshire (not sure if the whole is covered). I haven't yet looked at them properly as it's a bunch of pdfs but managed to drill down to Bakewell. I'll post links below.

Purcell is not at 11 Rock Terrace unfortunately but H W T Purcell of Church Street is a 2nd Lt in KSLI.

The FMP entry is a single sheet as indicated. It looks to be Daily or Weekly Orders for KSLI Depot and is stamped 2? May 1917 (i.e 20something). It says that he was attached to No 16 OCB Personnel and was re engaged to serve 21 yrs with the Colours 8 5 1917

Link to AVL which includes Bakewell. The towns/polling distict are alphabetic so scroll down to Bakewell

http://calmview.derbyshire.gov.uk/CalmView/GetDocument.ashx?db=Catalog&fname=Absent+Voters+List+-+West_+part+1.pdf

Main link to Derbyshire AVLs

http://calmview.derbyshire.gov.uk/CalmView/Overview.aspx?s=absent%20voters

edit: I've just noticed in the AVL that there is a George Fearn directly above 'our' man.Her brother? 1901/1911 census do have a family of Fearn with a George and a Fanny in the Church Street area.(although Fanny is not with the family in the 1911 one)

I think that's certainly him at Church St, next to brother/father in law. A wrong initial but otherwise perfect.

16 OCB based at Kimnel, Rhyl so quite a distance from Pembroke Docks. I still think an officer (perhaps Henry) took the photo and had it turned into a postcard sometime later while in Pembroke.

Henry and Fanny both in Bakewell in 1939

If he signed up for 21 years in 1917 then the MOD would have his record??

Not sure it's worth the fee and long wait just to prove it's him though.

TEW

A chorus no doubt repeated by the owners of the row of feet on the left, those sitting as a sniper's dream.

Howard