Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Monocled Mutineer

Ghazala

The National Archives have on view here the FGCM papers for the 'mutineer' who was shot (I don't mean the monocled one) 626 Cpl Jesse Robert Short. Has there been a significant release of papers this year after 100 years?

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

10 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Has there been a significant release of papers this year after 100 years?

Charlie

Not that I know of. There is an old thread that confirms William Wood. I can provide link if you like?

Mike

Reading the base commandant diary I link in my previous post , there is brief mention of visits by Asser but no mention of his meetings with the soldiers. Why not ?

1 minute ago, Skipman said:

I can provide link if you like?

Mike I've just inserted extract from WarDiary that confirms it in my post 26

1 minute ago, charlie962 said:

Mike I've just inserted extract from WarDiary that confirms it in my post 26

Ok thanks Charlie. See that now. Here's the old thread anyway. May be of interest to others. Click

Mike

On 12/08/2017 at 15:03, JimTom said:

Flash is being discontinued and in any case very insecure. But a lot of media is still dependent on it. What I found worked for me is:

1. Install Chrome, and if you don't want to use it as your main browser, copy and paste the page url in to it. Chrome has Flash semi-built-in.

2. When the media (inevitably) fails to play, click the Flash Plugin link in the media area.

3. There should be a popup near the top left of the browser window asking to run Flash. Let it do that, and enjoy!

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 14.59.22.png

JimTom. You're a genius. That works a treat. Thank you very much for a top tip.

Mike

If anyone is interested the 1986 tv drama is on Forces TV tonight starting at 9:00 (21:00).

Sorry for late posting only just seen TV guide.

John

Further to my post 15, I am now certain  that the Camp Adjutant was Owen Charles Guinness, posted Feb 1917, not VC Guinness per Commandant's WarDiary and repeated in some accounts of mutiny. He moved from 38 IBD, whose war diary confirms. I previously posted this about him in another thread.

He is merry and bright and told me he does not miss his right hand at all now. He lost his hand at the battle of the Aisne. He got to within 50yds of an enemy machine gun and it opened on him. Luckily for him it was a bit wide of the mark but about a dozen bullets passed through his right wrist and nearly severed the hand. It had to be amputated. He has a knife which fits into the stump and he gets on well at dinner. He writes with his left hand.

That action was with the Worcestershire Regt

Charlie

Can anyone please point me to source for Guinness's  "Notes on the Mutiny", referred to in a couple of articles as 'written in his dotage' ?

Thanks, Charlie

Googling leads to a number of "copy & paste" references, including a couple that refer to Guiness recalling the events 50 years later, and to this, which suggests it may have been a personal communication. Sadly, I couldn't get the PDF to open!

Get cached PDF (19 MB) - Core

30 Sep 2013 - Likewise, while a number of mutinies did occur in Irish regiments during the .... On a more personal note, a number of individuals have provided me with ..... Dallas and D. Gill, "Mutiny at Etaples Base in 1917", Past and Present, 69, 1975. 3~etter from Major O. C. Guiness to the authors, cited in, ibid, p.lOl.

Now all that may be needed is for someone to source a copy of Dallas and Gill's book!

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 14:25, Moonraker said:

Now all that may be needed is for someone to source a copy of Dallas and Gill's book!

There are multiple copies of the Gill/Dallas book available on Tinternet- the cheapest listing currently on ABE  is for a paperback from World of Books in Goring  on Sea:

Stock Image

Unknown Army: Mutinies in the British Army in World War I

Gill, Doug

ISBN 10: 0860918149 ISBN 13: 9780860918141

Used Paperback

Quantity Available: 1

Bookseller Rating: 4-star rating

Add Book to Shopping Basket
Price: £ 4.96
Convert Currency
Shipping: £ 2.75
Within United Kingdom

Destination, Rates & Speeds

Item Description: Paperback. Book Condition: Very Good. The book has been read, but is in excellent condition. Pages are intact and not marred by notes or highlighting. The spine remains undamaged

The hardback is much rarer-the cheapest copy is £30 from World  War Books.

The article on Mutiny at Etaples Base by the same authors is in Past and Present ,no 69-  This is similarly available on ABE from PsychoBabel in Oxford at £2.96 plus postage. It can be purchased also brand new from the Past and Present Society, who have a policy of keeping their back issues in print.

The article is also available on JSTOR- and,consequently, ought to be accessible (and downloadable) at a larger library near you.

• 1 month later...

The original series is being repeated on Yesterday Tomorrow. :blink:

By which I mean the first of four episodes is on the Yesterday TV channel on Sunday, 15 October at 2200.

The blurb in the Daily Telegraph listings notes that when it was first shown in 1986 it was "controversial (for its supposed left-wing bias)".

So I first watched it thirty-one years ago :blink:, ouch. In those days, it wasn't so easy to check out reviews, accuracy and the like, whereas today it takes only a few seconds.

A reminder of the IMDB entry.

Some interesting names in the cast: Anthony Calf, Timothy West, Cheri Lunghi, Penelope Wilton - and, of course, Paul McGann playing a very handsome Percy Toplis. The real Toplis appears to have been somewhat unprepossessing.

Moonraker

• 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying this repeat and am impressed at the amount of background details - such as direction signs in the camp scenes. To my surprise, the town of Somerton in Somerset was transformed into the village of Etaples

short article

Moonraker

There's a very nice teashop in Somerton :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2017 at 14:55, Moonraker said:

... Some interesting names in the cast: Anthony Calf, Timothy West, Cheri Lunghi, Penelope Wilton - and, of course, Paul McGann playing a very handsome Percy Toplis.

Moonraker

And a young Jim Carter (Carson, the butler in "Downton Abbey") playing the taxi driver in the last episode - which seemed to have been padded out, with  a longish political speech by the Parliamentary candidate, Toplis meeting his mother and his romance with Cheri Lunghi. The only scene I can recall from 1986 was Toplis humiliating his former colliery bosses when taking a Volunteer Training Corps parade. I have a recollection of one scene at Etaples with a pompous officer stomping along a boardwalk and sharply returning salutes from private soldiers, but that didn't feature, so I guess it must have been from another drama.

It's stood the test of time very well indeed and I enjoyed watching it.

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

I watched it at the time, and i'm watching it again currently.

I went to look at his RAF record on FMP (340978 Toples), but there is simply a piece of paper saying that it has been extracted and removed by Mr R. Thomas until further notice.

In essence another example of "creative non-fiction" shotgun married to anything goes to get an audience monomania media.