Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private 1 Lord Kilconnel

hmsk212

Hi

Came across a Lord serving in the ranks of the Royal Naval Air Service and the Royal Air Force, I would have thought that it was unusual in those days of privilege that he was not serving as an officer. He was F20492 (220492) Private 1 Richard Frederick John Donough Le Pour Trench Lord Kilconnel. Later he became the 6th Earl of Clancarty. He joined the RNAS on 7th September 1916 and served until being discharged from the RAF on 18th December 1918. He originally served as an Air Mechanic 2 (E) then as an acting Air Mechanic 1(E) but finished up being graded as a Private 1. He served as a Labourer and then as a Motor Cyclist based in 1918 at Manston. He went overseas in June 1918 serving with 66 and 67 Wings in France and Italy. I have found references to him in books on the Peerage that state that he gained the rank of officer in the RNAS but I can find no evidence of this anywhere.

Steve

FREDERIC ... LE POER ... FRENCH in RNAS and RAF records. He transferred to the RAF as a rating so there is no way he could also have been an RNAS officer.

David Lindsay, 27th Earl of Crawford and Balcarres, premier Earl of Scotland, an MP for 18 years (Chief Whip Conservative until 1913 when he succeeded to his title) served in France as 57840 Pte D L Crawford, RAMC. Subsequently FRS and Cabinet Minister (Agriculture).

Smart man, probably saw the attrition rate of officers