Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.T Saturnia

Gardenerbill

On 29/04/2016 at 13:51, Guest said:

Mark

I have a 48 page manifest of the Embarkation Officer at Mudros that records every ship arriving and departing between 25th Jun 1915 and 9th Feb 1916. The last record of the HMT Saturnia as on 31st August when it departed for Gibraltar and England. Her last inbound trip was ferrying the 20th Bn AIF, D Coy 18th Bn AIF , AAMC and ASC into Mudros on 18th Sep 1915.

Can you do two look ups for me wrt to Limnos arrive Depart.

1 Left 24 March 1915 for Port Said  arrived 26 March 1915

2 Left 28 May 1915 for Alexandria  arrived 3 June 1915.

Gaffa

On 29/04/2016 at 13:51, Guest said:

Mark

I have a 48 page manifest of the Embarkation Officer at Mudros that records every ship arriving and departing between 25th Jun 1915 and 9th Feb 1916. The last record of the HMT Saturnia as on 31st August when it departed for Gibraltar and England. Her last inbound trip was ferrying the 20th Bn AIF, D Coy 18th Bn AIF , AAMC and ASC into Mudros on 18th Sep 1915.

Hi Gaffa unfortunately the other member has left the forum all his posts appear under the 'guest' user ID

• 1 year later...

I have the same post card with two messages in the back from my grandfather and great grandfather

"This is the ship we went aboard at Lemnos to prepare for wounded in evacuation" Charlie

"This is the ship which bought me to Egypt from England leaving Devonport 2.2.16" CM (he had been hospitalised himself)

Both served in the 1st Australian Stationary hospital at Lemnos

• 2 weeks later...

Dennis Tall, 3/4 Northamptonshire Battallion, embarked in HMT Saturnia on 2 Feb 1915 at Devonport, travelling to Sidi Bishr, arriving 13th Feb 1916. Arriving at Mona to join his unit on the 20 Feb 1916. Killed in action 2nd Nov 1917.

• 6 months later...

I have been searching for information about my grandmother who was a member of the Army Nurse Corps in WWI. I found via Google search a reference to the Saturnia in a document: The Medical Department of the US Army in the World War By the U S Surgeon General’s Office, page 641. The Saturnia sailed May 19, 1918 to Le Havre, France arriving May 31, 1918 carrying  medical personnel from the Chicago area to staff Base Hospital 13. I have a photo of that page.