Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.T Saturnia

Gardenerbill

Picked up this postcard of the H.M.T. Saturnia from a well known online auction site, I know from a previous thread that she was operating in the Mediterranean in April 1915, but was she still in the Med when this postcard was sent in December 1915?

post-91681-0-83576800-1461877152_thumb.j

And this is the other side:

post-91681-0-72504300-1461877432_thumb.j

Transcription:

Wednesday

8’ Dec 15

My dearest May,

This is the boat we are now on, I will write you a letter when I hear from you dearest, it’s now about 16 days since I had one, with love & X

From your own true

Arch XXX

She was operating in July 1915:

"On our arrival at Alexandria we were marched to our ship, on to which we embarked about midday, the ship being the S.S. Saturnia. She was a filthy ship, the food tainted and the accommodation rotten. "

The Journal of J.H.Falconer:

http://users.tpg.com.au/rnoakes/text/J%20Falconer%20WW%20I%20diary.htm

Kath.

Thanks Kath,

So in July 1915 she was ferrying Australian troops from Alexandria to Lemnos where they would transfer to smaller ships for the onward journey to Gallipoli.

By carrying out searches here on the forum I now have the following:

August 1914 Troops England to France

April 1915 Marseille to Alex (Gloucester Yeomanry)

June 1915 Evacuating wounded Gallipoli

July 1915 Australian troops from Alexandria to Lemnos

Nov 1915 9th South Lancs Marseille Salonika

March 1918 Canadian troops Halifax to England or France?

April 1919 Canadian troops (England or France) to Halifax

Mark

I have a 48 page manifest of the Embarkation Officer at Mudros that records every ship arriving and departing between 25th Jun 1915 and 9th Feb 1916. The last record of the HMT Saturnia as on 31st August when it departed for Gibraltar and England. Her last inbound trip was ferrying the 20th Bn AIF, D Coy 18th Bn AIF , AAMC and ASC into Mudros on 18th Sep 1915.

11th April 1915. Derbyshire Yeomanry and South Notts Hussars departed Avonmouth to Egypt via Gibraltar on HMT Saturnia

24th Jun 1915. Mudros. 1/5th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers. 100 man fatigue party on HMT Saturnia.

Sources: unit war diaries.

If memory serves the log books are held at TNA. I have the HMS Ark Royal logbook (not very exciting reading) but it will at least allow you to determine exactly where she was. 

• 7 months later...
On 4/29/2016 at 07:42, Gardenerbill said:

By carrying out searches here on the forum I now have the following:

August 1914 Troops England to France

April 1915 Marseille to Alex (Gloucester Yeomanry)

June 1915 Evacuating wounded Gallipoli

July 1915 Australian troops from Alexandria to Lemnos

Nov 1915 9th South Lancs Marseille Salonika

March 1918 Canadian troops Halifax to England or France?

April 1919 Canadian troops (England or France) to Halifax

Hi! Just found this forum. This ribbon from a sailor's hat was given my grandmother when she went to a dance in Riga, Latvia after the Russian revolution. At that time it was common for sailors to give this as a token of their regard. Is there any record of the Saturnia going to Riga? This would have been prior to 1939, when she came to the USA. Thanks!

IMG_0547.JPG

Edited by MissMia
Correct inaccuracy

Hi MissMia and wlecome to the forum,

I'm sorry I don't know where the Saturnia went after 1919. British troops were sent to the Caucasus to support the White Russians against the Bolsheviks, but I don't know if any troops were sent to the Baltic. One of the forums navy experts might be able to tell you something about the flag on the ribbon, looks like a white ensign and a fleur de lis.

That's not the white ensign as it lacks the Union flag in the upper hoist canton. 

Could it be the house flag of a shipping company? I haven't searched thoroughly but if Saturnia was e.g. the Italian liner of that name and was registered in Genoa (patron saint George) then that would be another reason for the St George cross.

Hi All

The Saturnia, launched on 29th March.1910, had accommodation for 250 2nd class and 950 3rd class. Built by C.Connell and Co. Glasgow for the Donaldson Line Ltd. Her last voyage was 12th March 1925 from Glasgow for Portland. Sold Dec.1928 and scrapped in 1929.

Regards Barry

A ship with the same name later was built and launched on 29.12.1925 for the Cosulich Line, maiden voyage Trieste  for Naples, Marseilles and South America on 21.9.1927.

Edited by The Inspector

There have been several ships named Saturnia.  The house flag on the Cap Tally is that of Italia Line of Genoa founded in 1932, they ran transatlantic passenger services from Italy to the USA and South America.  The Italia Line's Saturnia was built in 1927 for Cosulich of Trieste, this company was absorbed into Italia in 1932, she was scrapped in 1965ItaliaLineLogo.png

Tony

9 hours ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

There have been several ships named Saturnia.  The house flag on the Cap Tally is that of Italia Line of Genoa founded in 1932ItaliaLineLogo.png

Tony

Well, I was right about Genoa! :)

• 8 months later...

I

On 28/04/2016 at 21:59, Gardenerbill said:

Picked up this postcard of the H.M.T. Saturnia from a well known online auction site, I know from a previous thread that she was operating in the Mediterranean in April 1915, but was she still in the Med when this postcard was sent in December 1915?

post-91681-0-83576800-1461877152_thumb.j

I am currently writing a monograph relating to HMT SATURNIA in late June 1915 and would like a postcard, or photograph to illustrate it. Also, I have details of her movements all through 1915. So, I would appreciate if this thread could be resurrected...

32 minutes ago, Len Barnett said:

I am currently writing a monograph relating to HMT SATURNIA in late June 1915 and would like a postcard, or photograph to illustrate it. Also, I have details of her movements all through 1915. So, I would appreciate if this thread could be resurrected...

Hi Len,

Welcome to the forum, if you send me a PM (Personal Message - click the down arrow next to your ID in the top right corner of the webpage) with your email address, I can send you a higher esolution copy of the postcard when I get home tonight.

IIRC the white spearhead (which looks a bit like a fleur-de-lys) on a red background was the flag used by Trieste when it was a Free Port.

Ron

"The house flag on the Cap Tally is that of Italia Line of Genoa founded in 1932," -  post 17 above.

• 7 months later...

2nd Bn Cameron Highlanders left Poona on 13 October 1914 and set sail from Bombay on board HMT Saturnia  on 16 October arriving Devonport on 16 November. 

Sandi 

Edited by sandi921
Misspelling and another date

• 5 weeks later...

According to my Great Grandfathers service records he embarked on the "Saturnia" at Devonport 02/02/16. Disembarked Alexandria 13/02/16.

Mick