Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are these men POWs?

KathyC

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have not long had this photo and am interested to find out anything about the soldiers. On the back of the card it says the photographer is Georg Alves, Hess Oldendorf. There is also a little stamp with Hameln.

Any information regarding the photo would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Kathy.

post-63156-0-72981400-1461876083_thumb.j

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have not long had this photo and am interested to find out anything about the soldiers. On the back of the card it says the photographer is Georg Alves, Hess Oldendorf. There is also a little stamp with Hameln.

Any information regarding the photo would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Kathy.

Kathy,

Based on their clothing/uniforms with a lack of insignia, and particularly the armbands they are wearing, these men are Allied Prisoners of War taken by the Germans.

Regards,

LF

There is a reference to a prisoner of war camp, please see below. The uniforms appear to be Russian although there maybe a British prisoners in the middle back row of the photograph.

List of camps by Army Corps districts

X Army Corps (Hannover)

Mannschaftslager

Hameln or Hamelin is located a mile from Hameln, and the parent of many work camps.

Can anyone identify the British soldiers cap badge? Kathy, would it be possible to post a close up? Agree they are POWs as I have photos of my grandad sporting similar armband. The other soldiers appear to have a mixture of uniforms,are they all Russians?

Simon

The other soldiers appear to have a mixture of uniforms,are they all Russians?

Simon

Simon,

I would say, 2nd & 3rd from left ( back row ) are British, possibly 4th from left also.

Regards,

LF

Can anyone identify the British soldiers cap badge? Kathy, would it be possible to post a close up? Agree they are POWs as I have photos of my grandad sporting similar armband. The other soldiers appear to have a mixture of uniforms,are they all Russians?

Simon

Kathy is running another thread about this mans cap badge here :

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=238769#entry2394101

It looks as though it is a Middlesex cap badge.

BillyH.