Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Etaples and surrounding area

Jonathan Saunders

I am visiting Etaples with some friends this Saturday/Sunday and wondered what there is to see? It is ostensibly a beer-run for Xmas but I have managed to con myself a lift on the basis I will add some history content to the weekend.

I know there was some hard WW2 fighting around Boulogne (where we sail into) and will also take them to the cemetery at Etaples and can show them the site of the Bull Ring. Is there anything else of interest in the area? Is Montreuil far and is there anything there to see?

Finally any recommendations for bars or eating establishments in the Etaples /Le Touquet area?

Many thanks.

The Etaples cemetery is one of the most impressive anywhere. The town is very tired but museum has some WW1 things. Le Touquet is quite tony, lots of nice restaurants.

Dear Signals,

Can I turn it the other way around. If you venture only very slightly north of Etaples you come to Camiers. This was the HQ of the MGC - or at least, somewhere in Camiers. It might have been the Mairie or there is mention of a chateau. They might have some info in Etaples. I don't know about bars or eats there but I'll certainly treat you to one here iof you find the Suicide Club !!

Julian

Aux Pêcheurs d’Etaples, at Etaples, serves good fish and seafood (above its fish shop where you can buy it really freshly caught to take home). Its picture windows overlook the water. It’s not particularly expensive, partly, I s’pose, because it isn’t an ornate and glossy restaurant. I like eating there.

You can also buy freshly caught fish at the market.

There were several hospitals in tents at Dannes and Camiers, usually linked as Dannes-Camiers in casualty notifications, but although I’ve had a good look round, I have not seen any evidence now. There may well be; I just can’t say. It’s very bleak and exposed, by the sand dunes, and you can imagine what it would be like lying there in distress. It’ll be perishing in December!

See The Long Long Trail hospital page. I’m sure a search would give details, or they’re described in The Roses of No Man’s Land.

Gwyn

Thanks for suggestions - will try my best to follow up on Camiers, might enquire at the museum in Etaples after I have steeled myself against the cold with a nice French "winter warmer".

I know that the MGC folks have explored Camiers - I was told that there was not much to see.

As for Montreuil, it is further to go, but it is a very pretty attractive town as well as the statue of that General. It is an enjoyable visit to make.