Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing WW1 relations

Guest Cassie

Hi,

I am trying to trace 2 relations who I think may have served in WWI, however I have no proof of this and I am not sure where to start searching. They lived in Lancashire and their details are as follows:

James Henry Shackleton born in 1868 and living in Haslingden

John William Shackleton born in 1889 and living in Rawtenstall

I know who their respective next of kin would have been. Can anyone suggest a starting point please.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the speedy reply, it was brilliant. As there are several soldiers listed with the same name and I do not know my relations service number will I be able to identify them from the downloads, i.e do these show dates of birth, addresses or next of kin. if not do I just have to visist the National Archives to view all the service records.

Sorry to ask so many questions but this is all new to me.

On the national archives site are some books published by them (available anywhere) which will help you, for example 'Army Service Records of the First World War' and 'The First World War - The Essential Guide to Sources in the UK National Archives'.

You can also find information on the mother site here at http://www.1914-1918.net

Cheers

Ryan

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the speedy reply, it was brilliant. As there are several soldiers listed with the same name and I do not know my relations service number will I be able to identify them from the downloads, i.e do these show dates of birth, addresses or next of kin. if not do I just have to visist the National Archives to view all the service records.

Sorry to ask so many questions but this is all new to me.

WW1 service records or what's left of them can only be accessed at the National Archives. Your chance of actually finding a relatives is 1 in 4 to 1 in 5. The NA quote 1 in 3 but this, IMHO, is very optimisitic and has been the subject of several discussions here in the past..

Did they survive the war?

Ironically it is easier to trace relatives who died via www.cwgc.org

This quite oftn gives extra nformation such as next of kin

Yes, although both passed away many years ago they survived the war.

Unfortunatly there are no living relatives left who can provide any details as to what they were doing during the war years so I don't have a family starting point.

Cassie:

Was doing a little searching on the 1901-could these be yours?

gordon

Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County

Lillie Barnes 18 Haslingden, Lancashire, England Sister-in-law Haslingden Lancashire

James Hy Shackleton 32 Haslingden, Lancashire, England Head Haslingden Lancashire

John W Shackleton 12 Haslingden, Lancashire, England Son Haslingden Lancashire

Martha H Shackleton 32 Haslingden, Lancashire, England Wife Haslingden Lancashire

Surely James was too old to serve.

You could try the 1918 Absent Voters list which will show the names and home addresses of either,or both, if they were still serving.

At a guess,that List MIGHT be held at the Lancashire County Record Office in Preston - - if not I am sure they will tell you where the appropriate one might be.

Yes, these are my relations, thanks for the post.

I had not realised that James would have been too old to serve. Does anyone know what the 'cut off' age would have been at that time?

I have not heard of the Absent Voters List, I will follow your suggestion and contact the Lancashire Records Office and see if they can provide me with any further information.