Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Charles Rollins d 1st Aug 1916 b Amara

antigoon

I am trying to discover the brief military career of my gt-uncle Charles Rollins. He was a Private with the Madras Artillery Volunteers. His death is recorded on 1st Aug 1916 by the CWGC. He is buried at Amara War Cemetery, Iraq. I have been unsuccessful locating his service records at the National Archive and British Library. I have not been able to find his name on a muster roll.

I would appreciate any information you have on this soldier. I would also appreciate scans of any relevant photographs of the MAV or Amara.

Let me know if further biographical information is required.

many thanks

Brian

Brian do you already have this ? soldiers effects entry here but no mention of gratuity

If you have a date and place of birth it might help search.

Charlie962

• 2 weeks later...

hi Charlie,

Thanks for the link. I did not have an actual record but this ties up with the index (even if it does say "Amava").

Unfortunately I do not know where or specifically when.Charles was born. My best guess is born sometime between 1894 and 1897 in either Lahore or Rangoon. For reasons unknown there is no birth or baptism record for him or his brother. His father William Henry Rollins was in the army. I have been unsuccessful to date attempting to locate Charles' service record to clarify these details as well as shed some light on how he came to be buried at Amara three months after the siege and evacuation. The CWGC suggested contacting the National Archive and British Library however to date nothing has turned up. He was not listed among the 28 Rangoon Volunteers taken POW at the siege of Kut published in the Times of India.

The only additional confirmed information I know is that Charles was in Rangoon for his brother's wedding in 1913.

thanks in advance for any further information you can add.

Brian

EDIT: The effects register lists Charles Rollins Regiment details as Volunteer Artillery Battery. The Amara panels for his medals state Madras Artillery Volunteers. As I understand it the VAB is largely comprised men enlisted out of Rangoon. Predominantly the "Rangoon Contingent" men were associated with the railways.

Edited by antigoon

He was not listed among the 28 Rangoon Volunteers taken POW at the siege of Kut published in the Times of India.

Brian,

I believe there was a prisoner exchange when the siege of Kut ended. Particularly those who were sick and needed hospital treatment.

Thanks Dave,

I had not heard of that but it makes sense. I shall look into it as there may be some hospital records.

regards

Brian

Brian do you already have this ? soldiers effects entry here but no mention of gratuity

If you have a date and place of birth it might help search.

Charlie962

The gratuity wouldn't have been due as the unit was not regarded as part of the British Army for gratuity purposes.

Craig