The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Dr. Blighty' - Indian Soldiers in Brighton- Pavilion Gardens

MichaelBully

Indian Soldiers in Brighton

Free event Tue 24 – Sat 28 May 2016 2pm – 10pm as part of Brighton Festival

http://brightonfestival.org/event/8490/dr_blighty/

Dr Blighty

An ambitious new project inspired by an untold story of the First World War, Dr Blighty remembers an unexpected episode in Brighton's history when the Royal Pavilion Estate became a military hospital for wounded Indian soldiers. A weeklong installation in Royal Pavilion Garden is accompanied by two special concerts at Brighton Dome marrying classical music traditions from East and West.

More from Dr Blighty
  • 57c73b024cc22edc93918cf4923fed90_0.jpg
    Debashish Bhattacharya Sat 28 May Brighton Dome Concert Hall
  • d1b80a516e9093ccc2e614b7bef51b94_0.jpg
    Philharmonia Orchestra Sat 28 May Brighton Dome Concert Hall
  • ff2a5470b451407c3a2d27347481f031_0.jpg
    Dr Blighty: Commemorations Sun 29 May Royal Pavilion Garden
Dr Blighty Nutkhut Dr Blighty

More than a million men travelled from India to fight for the Allies during World War One. Between 1914 and 1916, over 2000 Indian soldiers wounded on the Western Front were brought to a temporary hospital housed in Brighton’s majestic, Mughal inspired Royal Pavilion Estate.

In a major new collaboration with Nutkhut, Dr Blighty recalls this unexpected episode in Brighton’s history, bringing the experiences of the soldiers, and the locals who came to care for them, movingly back to life. Dr Blighty is part of 14-18 NOW, the UK's arts programme for the First World War Centenary.

Visitors to Royal Pavilion Garden can experience a dreamlike environment of immersive installations, ambient soundscapes and theatrical interludes, inspired by letters the soldiers sent back home. After dark, enthralling video projections will colourfully animate the Royal Pavilion.

Thank you.

Believe me, as a lad growing up in Hove in the 1940s, the presence of the wounded and sick Indian soldiers in Brighton was well known and a source of pride.

Great to hear that Grumpy. Now and then claims emerge in national media that the Indian Soldiers who fought in the Great War have been 'forgotten'. But certainly I've noticed in this area that awareness of the Indian Soldiers connection has been high. I will post confirmation of the annual Chattri memorial service on the Downs, soon. Regards

Thank you.

Believe me, as a lad growing up in Hove in the 1940s, the presence of the wounded and sick Indian soldiers in Brighton was well known and a source of pride.

Have received an e mail relevant to this thread : Free lunchtime talk Brighton Jubilee Library 12th May 2016

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Sent: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:45
Subject: Dr Blighty Indian Soldiers lunchtime event and talk - free Thursday 12th May 12-1.30pm

Dr Blighty Brighton Festival lunchtime event -

Talk and Q & A with Artistic Director of Nutkhut, Ajay Chhaabra who discusses Dr Blighty, an ambitious new project inspired by an untold story of the First World War, remembering an unexpected episode in Brighton's history when the Royal Pavilion Estate became a military hospital for wounded Indian soldiers.

Author of new novel Belonging, Umi Sinha will read from the book moving from the darkest days of the British Raj through to the aftermath of the First World War. The story is a compelling and finely wrought epic of love and loss, of race and ethnicity, of homeland – and of belonging.

This will be followed by an author book signing.

All welcome

Free, Jubilee Library, 12-1.30pm
Thursday 12th May 2015
i
This is a lunchtime event and the cafe will be open for lunches and refreshments at the same time.

I can load some photos from my book Brighton and the Great War if anyones interested?

I have the book but think that would be great to have them on this thread as well. Thanks

I can load some photos from my book Brighton and the Great War if anyones interested?