Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Harry Briggs MC, MM.

Glengarry1950

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am trying to research the above soldier/officer, his MIC is fairly comprehensive but I cant find any service records to enable me to get hid DOB. From a hospital record in 1916 it states that he was 26, therefore born circa 1890. I also know he was born in Lewes Sussex England.

From his MIC in 1914, (attached) his Number is 59516 from that I am assuming that he was a regular soldier prior to 1914 when would he have enlisted with that number being issued to the RFA?. Also on the MIC there is a correction to his Rank from Gunner to Bombardier for the issue of the 1914 Star, again endorsing prior service.

Another question is it normal to get a new number on promotion to WO see MIC from 59516 to 3360 the to unit T. F. ?( unit unknown) number 676545 ? why. I am also trying to work out what the word is after his rank Lieut. J..........? I thought may be Transferred ? but not starting with a J.

Finally as his medals were sent to The O. Commanding, Something scored out, ? No2 Armoured Train, Kaer-eh-Nil Barracks, Cairo Egypt which would appear to be in 1924, was he the OC.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Kind regards

Hiram

post-105358-0-48540200-1461598168_thumb.

The words scored out look like "now serving with". I don't think he was the O/C.

He appears to have relinquished his commission, due to ill health, in 1925.

I can't find a suitable man that was born in Lewes, although he was resident there in 1918. There is a 1915 marriage in Lewes to Ethel Batchelor which may be him?

Hi IPT,

Thanks for looking and I have made an error he enlisted in Lewes sorry. Where did you get the info that he resigned his commission in 1925 due to ill health ? I tried NA for his service record but got a nil response not to good at using that site.

Thanks Martin I thought it might be that but put off by it looking like a J.

Cheers

Hiram

Lieut. Harry Briggs, RFA

Born on 25 Mar 90

Served in ranks for 8 years and 302 days

Served in France and Flanders from 16 Aug 14 to 1 Nov 14; 15 Sep 15 to 26 Nov 15; and 6 Feb 17 to 4 Nov 18

Served in Greek Macedonia, Serbia, Macedonia or Turkey from 10 Dec 15 to 17 Jun 16

2nd Lieut., RFA, 24 Jul 18 "for service in the field"

MM: LG 28 January 1918 as 676545 Serjeant (Acting Battery Serjeant Major, 285 Brigade, RFA (Bradford).

MC: LG 8 March 1919; Citation: LG 4 Oct 1919 as 2nd Lieutenat, RFA (A Battery, 112 Brigade, RFA)

“For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. On the 6th October 1918, he went forward to find out the situation at Beaurevoir and find an observation post. Under heavy machine-gun fire he did a thorough reconnaissance of the whole front line, enabling fire to be brought on enemy strong points. Later, he did excellent work in charge of a working party which was making a crossing over the River Selle, making a most effective crossing under heavy fire.”

Lieut., RFA, 24 Jan 20

Group sold by DNW, 2 Jul 03, Lot 1125

Hi

Since he served after 1918, wouldn't his service records still be with MOD?

I would think you would need to apply for it through them?

regards

Robert

ROYAL REGIMENT OF ARTILLERY. Lt. H. Briggs, M.C., M.M., relinquishes the local rank of Capt. 18th Sept. 1924 - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32988/page/7971/data.pdf

ROYAL REGIMENT OF ARTILLERY. The undermentioned are placed on the h.p. list on account of ill-health:— Lt. H. Briggs, M.C., M.M. 18th Apr. 1925. - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/33039/page/2603/

14 H. Briggs, M.C., M.M., h.p. list, late R.A., retires on account of ill-health, receiving a gratuity. 9th May 1925 - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/33045/page/3122/

Gentlemen, rflory, rkirb5 and IPT,

Outstanding thank you so very much for all you help and this now gives me the necessary information to build my research, I am hoping that his service record is with the MOD now that I have his DOB I should be able to locate his record of death as my understanding is that I require that to apply for his service record.

Once again thank you all for you kind help it is much appreciated.

With kind regards

Hiram

Gentlemen, rflory, rkirb5 and IPT,

Just a small up date on Harry Briggs he was born in Colwick district of Nottingham 1890, 29 Annesly Terrace, his father was Thomas Palfreeman Briggs a railway engine driver and his mother Elizabeth Briggs nee Fisher, I think he died in 1962 but I am unable to confirm this as yet.

Cheers

Hiram