Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Wales Collier with 1925 St.John Service Medal - No War Service?

CeriS

I have recently purchased a Service Medal of the Order of St.John engraved to H.Jones. 4637, A.Offr. Cwmbran & Pontd. (Pontnewydd) Div. Priory for Wales 1925.

My query is: as the medal was usually issued for 15 years service, it would have meant a start date of around 1909-1910. Would this mean that he would not have served in the armed forces during 1914-18? Working on the principal that if a man left his place of work to serve in the forces, it would have broken the continuity of his service towards the St.John service medal.

With such a common surname, it would seem almost impossible to check Medal Index Cards for him. I assume that there is unlikely to be a register of recipients in existence for the medal itself?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

You might also try asking the Priory for Wales of the Order of St.John of Jerusalem's office in Cardiff in case they have records. Many St,John men served with the armed forces (the 130th Field Ambulance RAMC was entirely staffed by them) and i'd think myself that war service while remaining members would also count.

Perhaps also his other medals have become detached: though it's equally possible he served with the St.JAB only at home.

Clive